Old Bathroom Fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b1423356123

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a half bath. The cover for the old fan in there is unsightly and I want to replace it. The motor still works fine and vents properly. I'm guessing it is original to this 20 year old house.

I went to HD and purchased the only two covers they had to see if they would fit. Of course neither did. Either the design or the installation of this old fan is really poor in that the motor is actually below the ceiling line. The old cover has a half inch cavity so that the motor doesn't touch it. I also looked at the "Upgrade Kit" HD had and the motor won't fit into the existing housing.

What are my options? I really just want to replace the cover and avoid installing an entirely new unit. From the reading I've done it seems like a huge hassle. I have no attic access above this fan.

The old cover looks like this Nutone 682NT.

I don't like how you can see the motor and up into the fan. I would prefer slanted vents like you see on most modern fans.

just build out the perimeter of the opening with some wood to create your own cavity.
Take 4 pieces of wood about 1/2" wide by 1/2" thick and tack it to the ceiling around the opening of the fan. Now the new fan cover will fit and will not interfere with the motor of the old fan.

Back