DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Mold in basement - how to remove

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 11:37 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5
Default Mold in basement - how to remove

I have one finished room in the basement that I've been using for storage. It had a window leak, so I had turned off the heat there for a few weeks until I could find time to patch the window leak. The room was without heat/AC or air circulation for 3-4 weeks.

Yesterday I noticed that there was mold spores everywhere in the room. I got rid of some of the moldy stuff but now I'm worried that the mold may be there fore good.

How do I get rid of the mold? Do I need to call some duct repair/cleaning firm?

jbrickm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM  
Senior Member
handyguys's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

usually it can just be cleaned. Try a bathroom cleaner that says it works on mold and also try and air/dry the place out. If that doesn't do the trick then a stronger remedy may be due. No need to call the hazmat guys yet unless you are unhealthy and sensitive to mold.

The Handyguys Podcast [url][/url]
handyguys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 AM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 356
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9


If the mold spread to the insulation or got wet, remove it: Mold in Fiberglass Insulation, fiberglass - moldy fiberglass insulation in Buildings - when, why, and how fiberglass insulation becomes a reservoir of problem mold in buildings. Consumer information and expert resources

GBR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Palos Heights, IL
Posts: 5

I used this stuff, works great:

Recommended to me by a local professional remediation specialist. I paid just over 100 for 4 gallons delivered to my house.
EmersonHart13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 PM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hartfield VA, VA
Posts: 1,501
Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mold

Bleach and water would have done the same thing and only cost about $8.00.
joecaption is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Palos Heights, IL
Posts: 5

You may or may not be right, not going to debate it because you probably are.

I will, without reservation, say it was worth the extra 100 dollars to do it per the professionals recommendation. And I usually do whatever I can to save a buck, hence why I did the work myself but only after being told it was okay. It puts my mind at ease that I went the extra mile and in the guy who does this daily says it is done right.

To each their own.

EmersonHart13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 AM  
Veteran Rehabber
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 17
Default What are the basic mold cleanup steps?

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13 View Post
I will, without reservation, say it was worth the extra 100 dollars to do it per the professionals recommendation.
I don't want to get into a debate because you did what you thought best to protect yourself and your home. I agree with that way of thinking. However, I clean up mold all the time in my rehab projects. I talked to the EPA and a couple of local professionals. I am not an expert but I had to learn more about mold to protect myself and my property. Here is what the EPA says:
Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms. The use of a chemical or biocide (chlorine bleach, for example) that kills organisms such as mold is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain - these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors. Never mix chlorine bleach solution with other cleaning solutions or detergents that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could be produced. Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.

I've compiled a list of FAQs on mold, including What are the basic mold cleanup steps? and What are ten things I need to know about mold? Visit my website and click on the tab, Mold & Mildew FAQ.

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Bob Yorde[/FONT][/SIZE]
[I]Visit my [URL=""]blog [/URL] for my latest project and reno tips![/I]

Last edited by CMHbob; 04-19-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: URL
CMHbob is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
moisture or mold in basement redshift General Home Improvement Discussion 5 07-15-2010 07:55 PM
HELP!!! I have mold V92C General Home Improvement Discussion 3 02-15-2010 08:11 PM
Mold please help sp9659 Flooring 2 02-12-2010 10:41 PM
New to Mold moldgirl Introductions 4 11-11-2009 01:14 AM
dry rot and mold starrider Carpentry and Woodworking 27 07-26-2006 12:07 AM

Newest Threads