DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Static spark on top of house!




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM  
mhensley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 14
Default Static spark on top of house!

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum - good to be here.

I have an odd electrical/home question. I have been living in a house for 3 years now. On the very top of the roof, we have noticed a small, blue electrical/static spark that constantly buzzes. When it rains, it does not appear. We do live (somewhat) underneath high tension power lines that could be the source. This is a constant worry and problem. Our main bedroom is on the other side of the spark and causes HORRIBLE tv reception and vibrations in our lamps. We are stumped, worried and confused. Can anyone help? Thanks!



__________________
mhensley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM  
oldognewtrick
Moderator
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,874
Liked 511 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Default

Can you take a picture of the spark and the spot where it originates?



__________________
oldognewtrick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Blanc, MI
Posts: 2,230
Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

power antenna? Lighting rod shorted to something? Interesting.

__________________
kok328 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 05:04 PM  
mhensley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Can you take a picture of the spark and the spot where it originates?
Sure, I will post it tonight...
__________________
mhensley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM  
mhensley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Can you take a picture of the spark and the spot where it originates?
Here is the pic
IMG_0278.jpg  
__________________
mhensley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 AM  
CraigFL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 409
Default

It's hard to see exactly where that spark is but I suspect it is jumping from one piece of metal trim to another. Voltage can be induced into metal objects from high power lines. The first thing I would do is to ground the metal at an end to a ground rod and solder a jumper across where it is arcing.

__________________
CraigFL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 AM  
mhensley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
It's hard to see exactly where that spark is but I suspect it is jumping from one piece of metal trim to another. Voltage can be induced into metal objects from high power lines. The first thing I would do is to ground the metal at an end to a ground rod and solder a jumper across where it is arcing.
Will this be safe to do? Will I get shocked?
__________________
mhensley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.
 
Speedbump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Riverview, Fl.
Posts: 442
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I'm curious as to how close these hi voltage lines are to your house?

I'm sure you know what a transformer is. One coil of energized wire inducing current into another coil and producing AC current on the secondary winding.

I have heard of hi-tension wires running parallel with a fence. The fence has a gate in the middle. Someone opens the gate with one hand and touches the other half of the fence with the other hand and he became a fuse. I don't know if this could really happen, but it's something to think about.

__________________
FAQ's
Speedbump is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
havasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California, CA
Posts: 2,375
Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

I'd be checking your grounds at your electrical panel. I highly doubt this has anything to do with the power lines, but they might be able to send you someone from the power company to rule anything out, and find the root of your problem as a public relations gesture.

__________________
havasu is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM  
mhensley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 14
Default

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try anything at this point. I just don't want my house to catch a far!



__________________
mhensley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
120 v outlets at 108 static stlsig Electrical and Wiring 4 05-31-2010 05:20 PM
flourescent static electricity shovelshort Electrical and Wiring 5 04-23-2007 12:21 AM
Gas Hob Spark wedmonds General Appliance Discussion 3 01-22-2007 04:24 PM
Static electricity and superstition. K2eoj Electrical and Wiring 5 12-01-2006 05:28 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS