DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Igniter problem on Gas Furnace




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM  
br8thw8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4
Default Igniter problem on Gas Furnace

I just recently moved into an old row house (built in the late 1800's) and have an issue with the gas furnace. I was told that the furnace did not work so I had the local gas company come out to do a safety check and light. They don't troubleshoot or repair and they let me know that upfront. So the gas company guy climbs under the house where the furnace is. He immediately sees that the ignitor (spark type, not glow plug) isn't wired up. To my surprise he wires it up and tries to start the furnace. No spark. So he follows the power cord to an outlet and finds that it's barely plugged in. Still no spark. He then tells me that the ignitor control board (Fenwall) is probably bad, and said they are usually cheaply made. But he tries one more thing and unplugs a socket that goes from the ignitor control box to the ignitor, blows it out with some air, plugs it back in and voila! It immediately sparks and the furnace lights. I have heat! For a little while, because later in the day I noticed that the furnace is no longer kicking on. I climb under the house, unplug the furnace from the outlet and start jiggling wires to see if something is loose. Then plug the power cord back in a voila! Sparking and then gas flame. So it goes like this for a while, sometimes the furnace works for a few hours, sometimes for a few days. So I come to find out that it doesn't seem to matter if I unplug the power from the outlet or if I unplug the connector to the ignitor, that fixes the issue and it will immediately start to spark and light. I tried shutting off the circuit breaker to see if that would work, and make things easier than climbing under the house every time I want to relight the furnace, but that never works! This is a puzzling problem, why unplugging the power cord works but not tripping the breaker. I don't think the problem is the control board because unplugging and plugging the connector that goes to the ignitor fixes the issue too. I could be wrong and this why I'm asking for any help or ideas. Thx!



__________________
br8thw8 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 PM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I just recently moved into an old row house (built in the late 1800's) and have an issue with the gas furnace. I was told that the furnace did not work so I had the local gas company come out to do a safety check and light. They don't troubleshoot or repair and they let me know that upfront. So the gas company guy climbs under the house where the furnace is. He immediately sees that the ignitor (spark type, not glow plug) isn't wired up. To my surprise he wires it up and tries to start the furnace. No spark. So he follows the power cord to an outlet and finds that it's barely plugged in. Still no spark. He then tells me that the ignitor control board (Fenwall) is probably bad, and said they are usually cheaply made. But he tries one more thing and unplugs a socket that goes from the ignitor control box to the ignitor, blows it out with some air, plugs it back in and voila! It immediately sparks and the furnace lights. I have heat! For a little while, because later in the day I noticed that the furnace is no longer kicking on. I climb under the house, unplug the furnace from the outlet and start jiggling wires to see if something is loose. Then plug the power cord back in a voila! Sparking and then gas flame. So it goes like this for a while, sometimes the furnace works for a few hours, sometimes for a few days. So I come to find out that it doesn't seem to matter if I unplug the power from the outlet or if I unplug the connector to the ignitor, that fixes the issue and it will immediately start to spark and light. I tried shutting off the circuit breaker to see if that would work, and make things easier than climbing under the house every time I want to relight the furnace, but that never works! This is a puzzling problem, why unplugging the power cord works but not tripping the breaker. I don't think the problem is the control board because unplugging and plugging the connector that goes to the ignitor fixes the issue too. I could be wrong and this why I'm asking for any help or ideas. Thx!
--- There is no difference between on plugging it in the crawl space and turning the breaker off and on. I don't know is you hitting the wrong breaker or what. When you turn off the power you should wait 5 min. before turning back on.
The unit must be going off on safety. That igniter assembly has is a sparker and a flame rod. That that igniter out and clean it real good with some fine sand paper.
It gets a coating on it from the gas , so even if it does not look dirty, clean it.
Make sure all the wires are tight.
Try this first and see what happens. Later Paul



__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM  
br8thw8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4
Default

I'm sure I'm tripping the correct breaker

__________________

Last edited by br8thw8; 01-13-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Double post
br8thw8 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 PM  
br8thw8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4
Default

I'm sure I'm tripping the correct breaker since it powers a standard 2 plug outlet and I have a light plugged into it and I see it go off when I trip the breaker. But no, I have not waited five minutes before turning the power back on at the breaker. I'll try that. But then I don't wait five minutes when I unplug and plug in the power cord of the furnace to the outlet either, which always works. To me it's very curious. And I'll try cleaning the tip of the ignitor. Thanks for the tip.

__________________
br8thw8 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 PM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by br8thw8 View Post
I'm sure I'm tripping the correct breaker since it powers a standard 2 plug outlet and I have a light plugged into it and I see it go off when I trip the breaker. But no, I have not waited five minutes before turning the power back on at the breaker. I'll try that. But then I don't wait five minutes when I unplug and plug in the power cord of the furnace to the outlet either, which always works. To me it's very curious. And I'll try cleaning the tip of the ignitor. Thanks for the tip.
Don't just clean the tips sand all of the metal.
Is this plug in a grounded one theses electronic boards need to be on a grounded circuit. Later paul
__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM  
br8thw8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4
Default

Gotcha, will sand all of the metal. I'll try to post some pics too. I'm not sure what the model number is off the plate on the ignitor control box. I've Googled all the numbers with no match. And it's seems like most of these control boxes are like $250, is that high?

__________________
br8thw8 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 PM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I have no idea what the price would be. The last Finwell i used was many years ago on
lennox roof top units. 20 years ago they cost me $65.00.
You can send pic. to me at paulm989@hotmail.com

__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 AM  
joecaption
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hartfield VA, VA
Posts: 1,361
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I think I would replace he outlet it's self and also the male plug on the cord. Many times they get corroded just from being under the house.



__________________
joecaption is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Furnace Problem cowan HVAC 1 12-11-2010 01:46 PM
furnace problem letony General Home Improvement Discussion 1 10-24-2009 12:22 PM
Gas furnace igntion problem uilleann13 HVAC 1 01-15-2009 05:25 PM
help on a gas furnace ignition problem zorroo HVAC 4 11-19-2008 09:36 PM
Gas Furnace problem mekanic Introductions 3 04-14-2006 07:08 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS