DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Ridiculously huge fireplace mantel - help!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 AM  
ladybugg1629

Default Ridiculously huge fireplace mantel - help!

Hello all, first time posting here

We have a monstrous mantle surrounding the gas fireplace in our house (was here when we bought it). I've never seen anything like it; it's 5 feet high, 6.5 feet wide and almost 3 feet deep! (the insert itself is only 2ft 6in feet high x 3ft 2in wide)

Needless to say, it takes up way too much space in the room and I would like to know how I would go about removing it, moving the fireplace back to the wall and putting a more 'normal' mantle around it?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM  
Arbutus

This may not be really helpful, but here it goes. You have to find out how it is attached to the wall and how the pieces are attached to each other. Look for nail holes, screw holes, plugs, etc. Remove any screws and carefully drill out any plugs (you don't want to damage the head of the screw while doing this). Try going along the wall with a small thin pry bar and levering it out to see how well it is attached and how.

If you can get it 1/4" from the wall, getting in the gap with a reciprocating saw and cutting any fasteners with a bi-metal blade will loosen it and maybe even remove it completely.

Keep in mind that the person who put it in might not have intended it to come out. You may have to destroy it and damage the wall to remove it.

Good Luck.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With out a picture it's near impossible to do anything but guess on this one.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:52 PM  
ladybugg1629

Here are a couple of pictures; one of the front and one of the side:

Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It would have looked fine it they would have laid it out differant and not have been so simplistic when building it. A flat bar and a hammer and it should all come off but have a plan on what you want to replace it with before starting because there's going to be some wall damage.
This a picture of one we buiult for about $100.00 worth of materials. Everthing was primed and sealed before cutting anything and only took about 1-1/2 hours to build. Cabinet grade plywood, 1 X 4's of clear pine, a piece of crown moulding, cap moulding and for the top we used plywood with a a piece of untreated lattice on the edges to make it look thicker.
Without a hearth it also looks odd.

PICT0054.jpg  

Last edited by joecaption; 01-30-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:53 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 498 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Joe, thats a nice looking surround, but the problem the op has is the firebox is not set in the wall. It looks like the box was just set against the wall and a surround created, thus it sets in the room and takes up a lot of otherwise usable space.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 926 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

Is this a gas fireplace venting out the wall?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 AM  
ladybugg1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Joe, thats a nice looking surround, but the problem the op has is the firebox is not set in the wall. It looks like the box was just set against the wall and a surround created, thus it sets in the room and takes up a lot of otherwise usable space.
That's exactly the issue...I would love to have something similar to Joe's picture, that's lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Is this a gas fireplace venting out the wall?
Yes, it is.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 926 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

The box was built deep so the old big tv would sit on top of it. The insert should fit in a box that is only 18" deep. The place to start is disconnect the gas and thermastat. I would talk to people in your area that sell inserts, they will put you intouch with a gas fitter and give you ideas on what to build. when your done you just tile the floor infront like a harth.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 PM  
ladybugg1629

Thanks - that gives me a starting point - to talk to a gas fitter....before I start ripping the thing apart!

I can't imagine putting a tv up there - I think you'd have a sore neck in short order - not to mention that this thing takes up so much room that you can't really fit a couch in here!

Thanks everyone for all the replies - great forum here!

Quick Reply