asphalt ground swell

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have a bit of ground swell infront of my shed that is causing some problems with the doors opening. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

You can buy cold patch for asphalt and do a little re and re or cut off the bottom of the door

likely due to water entering the ground, freezing, & expanding OR it could be expansive soils alone ( high clay content ),,, remove the base, replace w/compacted granular base mtl, & repave OR place conc apron.

you could also cut off the garage door as previously suggested :rolleyes:

Trying to picture how the doors can be close enough to the pavment that it would stop the door from opening.
If the doors level with the pavement the sheds sitting to low anyway.

Ok i guess the shed is sitting to low. I would say the swell is about 3 inches. I think the guy I bought my house from did a lot of his own work and he wasnt exactly a craftsman.

Is the shed T111 sided? If so ever notice how the bottom always needs painting and is starting to rot or at least fray?
Notice how the bottom rail on the cross bucks on the doors is starting to rot at the top of the piece of wood?
Code for a home and the companys that make T111 (yes I know your working on a shed) is to have the siding no closer then 6" of the ground The reason being is splash back. Water runs off the roof and splashes back up and keeps the bottom wet, Soon it starts to wick up and rots it out. If a sheds just sitting on the skids then it's only 3-1/2" off the ground max.
In your case I would cut back the old pavement at least 3 ft. where the doors are, remove about 6" of loose soil in front of it and replace with #57 stone. It will give you dranage, not be effected by the frost and reduce splash back.
If you do ever decide to lift the shed a couple of farm jacks (Google it) will lift one side at a time to add more blocks under it.

have you thought about raising the shed? Just a large crowbar and a block of wood ( old school) one corner at a time, and it should lift slowly. Just work it up 3/4 of an inch.

Otherwise it's chipping and cutting are your two solutions.
If you need to get in right now, and you can remove the hinges or the hinge pins, go for it.

its a big shed (12 x 20 mini barn) those farm jacks look small, how much can they lift? What should I use to raise the shed permanently?

They will work just fine. I move plenty of stuff out here on the farm with blocks of wood and steel pipe. But those farm jacks will lift up to 3 tons. Thats fine if you want to lift the entire thing at once.
My advice, you do one corner at a time,put a piece of wood under the corner, and go to the next corner. You only need to go up 3 or 4 inches. Thats at least a couple stacked Pressure treated pieces screwed together when your done.
Just keep your fingers and toes out of the area, you should be fine.

Back