Primer Pulling Off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK. We redid our powder room. All new drywall. We wiped the dust off of the walls prior to priming with towels. Used many towels until no more dust was showing on the walls and the towles were no longer "dusty". I was afraid to use a damp rag over the bare joint compound. Primed the drywall with a primer/sealer. I found some imperfections in the wall after priming. After a few days (3-4) I marked these spots with a small pice of blue painters tape. When taking the tape off, it blisters and pulls the primer off of the wall. Mainly on the areas where the joint compound is. The rest of the wall I did "spot checks" and it seemed OK. Is the primer not "cured" enough for the tape yet? Willa nother coat of primer help it adhere to the wall?

If you used a PVA primer it should not have came off. What brand of primer did you use. We only use Zinzeer and it holds up good. Kilnz is like priming with water.

Hey FR, Nothing more frustrating than nearly finishing a project just to have more problems. From the sounds of it you did everything correctly and made sure to remove all the dust from the walls prior to priming. As for the primer not being fully cured it sounds like you waited more than enough time to put a little tape on there assuming its lower adhesive painters tape, that is not normal. It could have been a problem with the primer or maybe even something on the walls under the primer that caused it to blister (9/10 times its contaminants on the wall that cause this). The fact of the matter there are many different primers out there some better than others but for the simple job you expected it to do there is no excuse for peeling or blistering, any primer should be able to handle that. Id suggest repairing the damaged areas and re-priming the entire area again. Let us know if you run into anyother problems or notice anything else.

If you used a PVA primer it should not have came off. What brand of primer did you use. We only use Zinzeer and it holds up good. Kilnz is like priming with water.

I've used both and never had the problem.......latex or anything but oil or acrylic could be the ultimate problem.

Latest posts

Back