No power to dishwasher

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odysseus

Reaction score
I have a second floor apartment built in about 1972. Recently there was a water leak into one corner of the kitchen from the next floor above. In the opposite corner is my dishwasher, which is hardwired.

The water saturated the floor underneath the leak and spread several feet out, requiring that the kitchen flooring will need to be replaced. The leak was repaired several days ago and the flooring is drying out.

The dishwasher has stopped working. No lights showing on panel. I have pulled the d/w out and tested the wiring to the unit with a non-contact tester (tester is verified working correctly), which shows no electricity coming to the dishwasher.

No other electrical problems anywhere in the apartment.

The circuit breaker panel is probably the original, possibly part of an update, but is pretty old. The c/b switch which is labeled for the d/w is a 20amp. I did not do the labeling, but over time have checked them all and feel fairly sure it is the correct switch.

In any case no c/b switches were tripped. JIC, I reset them all. Still no power to the d/w.

The circuit breaker panel is on a wall several feet away from the kitchen but closer to the d/w than the corner where the leak occurred. It seems to me unlikely that the leak could be responsible for shorting the c/b switch, but thought I should ask the experts? Any thoughts on this?

I am guessing that (very coincidentally) the c/b switch failed at the same time as the leak, although the co-incidence factor seems a bit unlikely. Even if caused by the leak, since there is now no power in that circuit, the c/b switch is now suspect. How do I safely test the c/b switch?

Last edited:
I would suggest that you call your landlord and place a service request with the property owner.
However, it appears that you prefer to do this your self so, you have to remove the cover to the breaker panel, turn on the breaker for the dishwasher and test for voltage on the lugs that hold the wires to the circuit in the breaker. You might just find that the wires may have been temporarily disconnected while repairs to the floor are being made.

The panel is painted closed and has not been disturbed (flooring work hasn't started) and the leak repair occurred about 15 feet away, so loose/disconnected wiring seems very unlikely. This may be totally co-incidental, but it seems very odd that it would go out at the same time WITHOUT being related.

While I would like to be able to do the repair myself, when it comes to the other side of the circuit breaker box, an electrician might be the prudent option at this stage. Is there anything else I might try. Thanks.

This should not be the case but you never know.
Look for any GFIC outlets that may have tripped and reset them. The dishwasher may be tied to the load side of the outlet.

Every other device and outlet in the house have been checked and are working perfectly

I don't know what if this is a residential DIY apartment or part of a commercial apartment but, if it's a duplex DIY:
- the circuit could have been damaged during the floor repair
- the apartment upstairs somehow controls the circuit to the dishwasher downstairs.

Your going to have to remove the panel to the breaker box and see what's up with the dishwasher circuit breaker. If you have power at the breaker but, not at the DW then the line has been damaged somewhere in between.

Thanks for all the good counsel.

I have checked every outlet with a lamp, reset each of the (3 total) GFCI's, reset all of the circuit breakers several times, and everything electrical, save the D/W, in the condo is working perfectly.

I'm OK on the switch flipping side of a circuit breaker box, but the other side is reserved for those who know what they are doing, not for those asking. I have managed to stay alive for 68 years knowing when to not take risks, and I can tell it is now time to call in a professional.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back