DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > insulate concrete basement floor

Old 04-03-2011, 03:31 PM  
danboston

Default insulate concrete basement floor

I am remodeling my basement and want to insulate the concrete floor. I have about 2.5" of headroom that I can steal for insulating the floor. What si the best method for insulating the floor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use blue foam insulation with Advantec over that, Tap Coned to the slab with 3" long screws. Worked great and there's 0 movement of the subflooring.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM  
danboston

Great, I checked out the Advantek web-site. It looks good. I do plan to put in a bathrrom in the basement and wanted to tile over the insulated floor. Somone else said I should use Ditra board over the foam board insulation. Should I put the Advantek down first and then the Ditra board over that?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM  
carolinacustomkb

I would probably subfloor the entire basement. If the subfloor is sound and you don't need waterproofing, then you don't need Ditra...you would use a backer of your choice. Thin set it down and screw it to the subfloor.

Installing plywood over the entire floor will also eliminate any floor height differences. 1/4" backer with a 5/16" thick tile should flush out really well.

Last edited by carolinacustomkb; 09-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM  
Perry525

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

If you are using floor grade Styrofoam, you should go for a fully floating floor. If you use metal screws, each screw provides a heat bridge to pass your heat to the concrete slab, nullifying the point of insulating.
A fully floating tongued and grooved waterproof plywood floor is best.
Is your floor always dry? What about the walls? Are they dry?

Quick Reply