DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > why there are white lime trangle lines on walls aroud my chimney?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 PM  
peter101

Default why there are white lime trangle lines on walls aroud my chimney?

After winter I found there are white triangle lines on both side walls around my brick chimney. After raining for 1-2 hours, the brick wall on both side of the chimney will have a deep color triangle area larger and lower than white triangle lines. But, I have touched the deep color area and did not fell water on the brick after rainning lightly several hours.

When it does not rain, the deep color triangle area is fading out and can only see it 50 meter away. Till now, we have rain every week.

The saddle has no counter flash on top. And the chimney side flush is a long piece of metal, not stap flash. All seals are ok.

Please help me to find possible reasons?

Thank you.

100_6210.jpg   100_6216.jpg   100_6209.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

appears to be efflorescence & is probably caused by moisture behind the brickwork

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM  
peter101

Default More founds.

Thank you for reply. Recently, I found one of my two downspouts was blocked at the bottom. I don't know if this is the reason to make water enter my brickwork around my chimney. The chimney is in the middle of my two downspouts.

Last edited by peter101; 05-08-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 498 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Doubtful, the gutter is probably 16" away from the wall. Missing mortar, improper wall flashing or failure of the crown of the chimney are my guess.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 925 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1595

Check for wet insulation around the chimney in the attic.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 AM  
peter101

Default Thank for opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Doubtful, the gutter is probably 16" away from the wall. Missing mortar, improper wall flashing or failure of the crown of the chimney are my guess.
The outmost wall of my chimney is next the gutter. This part of wall will suck water if the gutter is full during the rain.

Before a rain, I have coverd the chimney from top to buttom with plastic, but I still get the dark color area on my side wall during the rain. One day After the rain, I open the plastic cover and found water on the chimney wall and plastic and the part which is 1 to 2 feet above the gutter has more water. I am sure that no rain enters the chimney during the rain.

Last edited by peter101; 05-11-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 AM  
peter101

Default Thank you for suggestion and wet insulation of my chimney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Check for wet insulation around the chimney in the attic.
After winter, I found some small gaps between the saddle and chimney wall. I patched the gaps with roof cement and seal all chimney flashs and the roof singles around the chimney. I still get the dark color area during the rain.

Then, in a sunny day I run tap water from the end point of the saddle to simulate a mild rain and keep water around the chimney in an area not more than 1 foot away the chimney. I did it 4 hours, but I can not reproduce the dark color area.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM  
peter101

Default Is it good ideal to install a roof befor I found the reason?

I have asked 5 contractors to check my problem. No body point out where is the problem. But, every one gives the same suggestion: cut the chimney under the roof and redo the roof. The chimney is for oil furnace and I changed to electric furnace 7 years ago.

But, my roof is only 15 years old and it is still ok even I have repaired 4 square feet blowing away singles. My roof size: 30 feet x 30 feet with slope.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 498 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Finding the source of water leaks is sometimes, at best, frustrating. My suggestion is to first rule out the obvious.

-Is the chimney properly step and counter flashed into the mortar joints?

-Do you have a "cricket" behind the chimney to divert water around the chimney chase?

-Are there any missing mud joints in the brick and if you run your finger along the joint does it release a lot of sand?

-Is the mud cap/crown/mortar cap in-tack without any cracks or voids?

From what I'm seeing you are getting water migration through the chimney above the gutter. The effervescences is all along the wall from the soffit down. The gutter is to far away from the wall to be the main issue.

I would try sealing the chase from the top down with a masonary sealer before you start tearing down structure. Fill in any cracks or voids because sealers won't bridge gaps.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:08 PM  
peter101

Default Thank for suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Finding the source of water leaks is sometimes, at best, frustrating. My suggestion is to first rule out the obvious.

-Is the chimney properly step and counter flashed into the mortar joints?

reply: I can not see because the flash seal.

-Do you have a "cricket" behind the chimney to divert water around the chimney chase?

reply: yes, maybe I am wrong, I call it saddle.

-Are there any missing mud joints in the brick and if you run your finger along the joint does it release a lot of sand?

reply: no, I have fill all joints.

-Is the mud cap/crown/mortar cap in-tack without any cracks or voids?

reply: it is old, but without any cracks or voids on top surface.

From what I'm seeing you are getting water migration through the chimney above the gutter. The effervescences is all along the wall from the soffit down. The gutter is to far away from the wall to be the main issue.

I would try sealing the chase from the top down with a masonary sealer before you start tearing down structure. Fill in any cracks or voids because sealers won't bridge gaps.

I will try to cover the chimney again before a rain to make sure it is not chimney.

Quick Reply