Garage conversion?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaByars

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for advise/opinions on partially turning my garage into living space. My garage is oversized and was once used as an office since my house was a model home back in the early 80's. The walls are finished with texture, there is a large window, recessed light,ceiling fan, hanging light fixture, built in cabinets and heat. Im wondering if it is advisable to put up an interior wall and try to capture some space. What do need to look into while trying to decide on a conversion?
Thanks,
Dana

Are the over head doors still in place?
Not sure what you mean by adding a wall and capturing space.
Sounds like the garage is 90% done already, so I'm not sure what it is your asking about what to do.

Hey Joecaption, can you give us a little more information? From the information you provided, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest concern will be fire rated walls and ceiling on the garage side and proper sealing for off gas from autos. A door from this area to the garage will need to be exterior.
sjson, In the north you would also need to check the insulation and there is a concern from inspectors about a continuos floor in a cold zone and a worm zone, I think they worry about frost but, ??

Latest posts

Back