DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > GFI Troubleshooting

Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 PM  
Joshadog

Default GFI Troubleshooting

I have a GE two speed motor/pump for a hot tub that I have adapted for a type of therapy called underwater pressure massage (all of the hot tub jets are channeled through a single hose for the high pressure underwater massage) Recently I took the motor to be reconditioned after it was tripping the GFI. Now the motor runs fine at low and high speeds under normal conditions. However when I switch the hot tub from the regular hot tub jet function to the high pressure underwaterpressure massage it trips the GFI after about 5 seconds.

I went back to ask the repair shop for their opinion they said that the high pressure usage should not cause the motor to trip the GFI. Their suggestion; it might that repeated tripping the GFI before the motor was reconditioned may have cuased the GFI to become oversensitive and the Bryant 50 amp 2 pole breaker with GFI may need to be replaced.

Is there any way to test this idea? Any suggestions on other things to check?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 01:57 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Unfortunately, there is no way to test this theory.

The only suggestion is to replace the GFIC breaker.

However, I'd amp probe the line to see if the current is exceeding 50amps when using the high pressure setting. If this is the case you will have to replace the wires and the breaker to a larger size.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With the power disconnected you could measure the resistance to ground of the motor power leads in various setting of the control. You may need to manually activate the relays.

I have found in the past that anything under 5 megs will probably trip a GFCI.

Quick Reply