DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Foundation, Proper Way To Support Mini Barn

Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM  
esbmann

Default Foundation, Proper Way To Support Mini Barn

Was not certain if this is the correct forum to place my question, but here goes. Approximatly 20 yrs ago I put up a 14 by 8 mini barn in the lowest and wetest part of my backyard. I was new to the home and didnt realize how wet this crner is. I live in Indpls, In so we get all of the different climate changes. Have always had a problem in the winter with the barn shifting around and the two front doors on the barn becoming jammed shut. Last summer I moved the barn about 10ft, however it is still in the lowest and wetest corner. I put 4 by 4 ,s length wise under the floor joist. At each corner I dug down no more than two feet and placed a vertical 4 by 4 with a post cap that attatches to the supporting 4 by 4 ,s under the barn. Then I filled the holes with concrete, I did my best to make sure the concrete was pushed down underneath the 4 by 4. I hane still experienced the barn shifting around, and not sitting completely level again. I am thinking that I may need to put some 4 inch corragted pipe around the barn and run to a nearby drainage ditch to help dry it out and I am wandering if I didnt go deep enough on my corner support post. Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 AM  
CharlieO

You more than likely did not go deep enough, I don't know what your frost line is in Ind, but I will bet it is probably 3' or better, and in the winter the frost gets under the footings and moves them, especially if it is a wet area as you say, What you should do is check with the local building dept to see what the required depth of a footing is in your area, then dig your footing to that depth, install a sonatube (cardboard tube for footings) and fill it with concrete, then attach you 4x4 to the top of the concrete.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply