Water Damaged Exterior Siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcsmith37

Reaction score
Can you tell me the best way to install cedar trim along the bottom of the exterior siding that has water damage? I cannot find any photos or instructions on this process. Thank you. Dave

Attached are a couple of photos showing bubbling, rotting and water damage. I would like to find out how to remove the bottom 6" and install a 1x6 cedar trim along the bottom of the siding and caulk the top of the cedar.

Thanks,

Dave

Water damaged siding at backflow preventer.jpg

Water damaged and rotted siding I.jpg

That's some funky looking plumbing system you have there.
I guess the plumber missed the class on, no plumbing should be run in outside walls, or left exposed outside of a wall.
You have what looks like Smart Siding, sold at Lowes, it's cheap partical board with a coating on it.
I would not use cedar, it will stain and rot over time.
I'd cut out the old rotted wood and seal the cuts with at least two coats of paint then use 1 X 6 (at least) vinyl lumber instead of cedar, with a strip of Z moulding up under the siding you have now.
Even that will just be a temperary fix, as that type siding left exposed will still wick up water and rot out.
You can cut it out by snapping a chaulk line first then use a ciruler saw set to the thickness of the siding to make your long cuts and an ossilating saw to cut out the ends and around that plumbing.
If it was my house I'd cut out the rot, replace with new OSB, add Tyvek then vinyl side the house.

Latest posts

Back