DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Block house built in 1947

Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 PM  
seasonedwthsalt

Default Block house built in 1947

Hi,

My husband and I are remodeling my grandparent's house, and getting ready to move into it. The walls are plain cinder block, and have never been covered with Sheetrock. They are cracked, and really look bad. However, using some type of blown on texturing will be very messy. Is there anything else other than sheetrock that I can use to make the walls look better. I don't want to take up floor space having to use sheetrock.

Thanks,

Wendy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 AM  
joecaption

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it's just block on the inside and outside then most likly that means no insulation.
A picture would be nice to see what you mean by there's cracks. If it's just cracks from where the building settled along a few morter lines that's no big deal, but they should still be cut out with a 4-1/2" right angle grinder and refilled with morter or hydrolic cement or air and bugs can get in.
The best way to add some insulation, make the wall smooth, add a vaper barrier all in one step is to attach strips of plywood cut to about 2" wide and attach then with Tap Con screws. Run the strips at the top and bottom first, then space the others 16" on center vertical. Add 3/4' blue foam between the strips. I did this on the inside and outside of my whole house, as well as replaced all the windows. Heating and cooling cost went from $300.00 a month to $90.00.
All the window and door trim will need to come off, and jam extentions added after the rocks installed.
In the south it's common to see sheetrock directly applyed over block or pored concrete walls but I've never trusted it staying stuck in place, and it adds almost no R value.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 AM  
seasonedwthsalt

No, there is no insulation. It's block inside and out, although the block provides somewhat good insulation. I am in the south as well. The cracks are from the house settling over the years, but there are some pretty large cracks. It's stable now, and not cracking any longer. I just want to know what I can put over it to cover it other than some type of texturing. I thought about beadboard, but Idon't think I want to look at that all of the time. I will try to take pictures. It's still in the process of being remodeled.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 963 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 1648

Your not going to get better suggestions than what Joe has given.

Quick Reply