Accidently drilled into wood support while drilling for window brackets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimeron

Reaction score
Hello. Need some advice in this area.

I was installing a windows bracket and I accidentally drilled a small hole into the wood support behind the dry wall (above the first floor window and right below the ceiling ).

No idea where the hole is located in relation to the supporting wood beam, but I do know the the depth is no more than an inch. The bit used was 7/32.

Just wondering if this would have any possibility affecting the (I assume, vertical) support.

Thank you for your time.

I was installing a windows bracket and I accidentally drilled a small hole into the wood support behind the dry wall (above the first floor window and right below the ceiling ).

No idea where the hole is located in relation to the supporting wood beam, but I do know the the depth is no more than an inch. The bit used was 7/32.

Just wondering if this would have any possibility affecting the (I assume, vertical) support.

You should be drilling into the framing to properly secure whatever it is that you're hanging. Drywall is relatively weak and will only support very light things, like small photo frames, by itself. Your studs have massive, by comparison, holes in them for pipes, wiring, etc., and can tolerate such holes just fine.

Matt

Latest posts

Back