$10,000 fine

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

restez1963

Reaction score
hi
there wasthe a discussion on refr leak and its said a $10,000 fine to blow out refr into atmosphere . that also meant you would get fined if you went on a call and they had a leak in system and you just refilled system with refri
and left. my ? is do you still get fined if the custumer does not want you to fix the leak because cant afford it? so now you knowingly know theres a leak how does this work can the tech be in trouble after all he cant make them fix it
Thanks

Good question but, I thing your reading too much into it.
As I understood it, the tech must take reasonable precautions and efforts to prevent freon leakage into the atmosphere.
A fine would be imposed if the tech intentionally released freon into the atmosphere.
I've never seen a fine levied before, for either act and I don't think recharging a system would fall under this criteria. Again, who's going to report it?
I'd would like to see what others think and how the rules are interpreted.

The leak repair requirements, promulgated under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act, require that when an owner or operator of an appliance that normally contains a refrigerant charge of more than 50 pounds discovers that refrigerant is leaking at a rate that would exceed the applicable trigger rate during a 12-month period, the owner or operator must take corrective action.

Doubtful you are talking about a system that contains more than 50 lbs. Residential is typically 15 lbs or less

hi
there wasthe a discussion on refr leak and its said a $10,000 fine to blow out refr into atmosphere . that also meant you would get fined if you went on a call and they had a leak in system and you just refilled system with refri
and left. my ? is do you still get fined if the custumer does not want you to fix the leak because cant afford it? so now you knowingly know theres a leak how does this work can the tech be in trouble after all he cant make them fix it
Thanks

The repair man is suppose to try to find the leak and repair it. But if it is a very small leak it is hard to find, so some of them are just going to have a pound put in every year. To start with us dealers were suppose to keep track
of every pound we use and fill out reports. The gov. does not have enough
people to enforce these paper trails. The gov. came out with these fines and they were hoping that the public would watch us dealers and report us, and the gov. would pay the public for every one they report. To prove that we are dumping, they would have to have it all on film. So all these rules
really are hard to enforce.
I would think the amount of refg. gas released from house air con. leaks
would be a small amount compared to the amount released every day from auto crashes.
Then we have volcanoes that release some of the same chemicals that are found in the refg. gas, and we sure can't stop them. Paul

Back