Urns imbeded in my brick wall - how to fill?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizasmom

Reaction score
I have an exposed brick wall in my living room where the fireplace is. For unknown reasons too disturbing to contemplate :eek:, ceramic urns (one on each side of the mantel) were embedded into the brick when it was built. Someone chipped off the face of the urns so they'd be flush and could be hidden under wall art, so now you just see the concave remaining half of each urn (picture an urn-shaped hole in the wall).

Here's my question - I would like to fill the urn holes with something so that I would no longer have to hang things there to hide them. It doesn't need to be perfectly matched to the existing brick, as it's painted brick anyway. Also, I really don't want to mess with any demo. Could I fill them with cement or plaster of paris and then just paint over, or would that just shrink or crack? I was thinking of carving faux brick lines into whatever I to make it less noticeable (note each urn is only about 3-6" x 10" big). Thanks in advance for your help!

A couple options come to mind. What about taking some brick from the bottom of the wall and patching the holes with them after you find a match as close as possible to the current brick for the bottom of the wall. Chip out the remaining urn pieces and find some stained glass to fill in the hole or find some slate or marble to take the place of the unwanted urn remains.

Oh, and welcome to House Repair Talk!:welcome:

Back