Can I replace this 2x4?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael001

Reaction score
I need to replace the sub-floor in my kitchen. This would require me to cut out a beam under an adjacent wall. How can I tell if the beam is load bearing? I'm not sure how much weight it would support even if it is load bearing because it's only one 2x4 and it's quite rotted. I just want to know if I can remove it without some part of my house falling down.

Here's a picture:Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thanks in advance!

Just for clarity a beam would be a larger peice of wood or more than one joined together with studs and criples holding up the ends. In your photo we are looking at the bottom plate of a wall, if that is what you want to change, go ahead it only holds the wall together and is nailed to the floor well if you had a floor. Removing the bottom of the wall and some plumbing will make it easyer to replace the flooring.

Looks like it needs it. Removing the plumbing will definitely help you out a bit.

Latest posts

Back