DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Can I make my pantry walls narrower?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:25 PM  
terry47

Default Can I make my pantry walls narrower?

I need to find more space so I can increase the size of a 12" base cabinet when I replace my cabinets. The only place I can get extra inches is to adjust the size of the walls of the adjacent pantry (40 1/2" wide by 28" deep) Being strapped for space, I want to retain as much of the interior dimensions as I can. (30 1/2") Each wall measures abour 4 1/2 ". My question is can I rebuild these walls by turning the 2x4's sideways which would save me an additional 2 inches each? They are not load bearing walls. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1599

Yes you can.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:14 AM  
RocLok
RocLok Master

Terry,

You can use sideways 2x4 studs, really all you are looking for is something to hold up the sheetrock. Now if you do that the wall will appear thin and look different, if it is the passage way into your pantry it may not be what you want. I have seen it done before and it does look strange, the other issue is that the wall will not have as much strength , so if you lean against the wall it will give a little, not necessarily a problem because it is a non load bearing wall but something you should think about.

The question that comes to mind is why you do not just move the wall into the pantry a few inches, you will have the extra counter space and the pantry will be only slightly smaller. Another option would be to remove the wall and extend the kitchen into the pantry area and use a few pantry cabinets.

A Photo of the area in question may help in figuring out the best options.

Hope that helps,

-Ryan

Ex Realtor, house flipper, remodelor and now building a vintage truck, making friends and fixing my house.

Ever Lock Yourself out? [url]www.RocLok.com[/url]

Building a vintage 39 1.5 Ton Truck[URL="http://www.1939Cummins.Info"]http://www.1939Cummins.Info[/URL]

Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM  
RocLok
RocLok Master

which way did you go? Love to see a photo

Ex Realtor, house flipper, remodelor and now building a vintage truck, making friends and fixing my house.

Ever Lock Yourself out? [url]www.RocLok.com[/url]

Building a vintage 39 1.5 Ton Truck[URL="http://www.1939Cummins.Info"]http://www.1939Cummins.Info[/URL]

Old 08-06-2011, 01:35 PM  
terry47

We are still looking into our options so we have't done anything yet. Another question I have is you said that if I" would lean on the wall it would give a little". That made me think about the inside shelves. Would they not give it more strength and stability? or would they add more weight and sagging? I don't want to build something that will be a problem. We are considering buying new cabinets but the prices of pantries that match are close to $1000. So we are considering all our options before we make a move. If we have to just move the existing walls we will but we wanted to look into saving as much inside dimensions as we can. I don't know how to add a photo if you tell me how I will try.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1599

I'm not sure what the problem is, if you think about how you are going to build these walls. The wall with the door is a 2x4 wall cut on a 45 degree at each end and the outside of this wall is set at 26" from the side and back walls of the kitchen. The side walls are only about 21" long with 2 studs on the flat nailed to backing in the back wall and nail the door wall in the front. Keep in mind that the sheving people hardly ever find studs where they want them and use anchers in the drywall,

Quick Reply