Balloon Frame Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmaclean

Reaction score
We are redoing a 2 famiiy (side by side) 2 1/2 story farmhouse built in late 1800s. The second story wall, dividing the two units has a steel rod through it from the exterior wall at ceiling height to the floor at a 45 degree angle. Anyone know what this is for? Can it be removed?

This was put there to keep the house square and support it against wind. This would be a question for an engineer, there are other ways to do this but an expert looking at the structure is the only way to go.

The rod is a sway brace as Neal said and if you remove it you MUST replace it with a wooden brace to accomplish the task. Newer homes use plywood exterior sheathing which works as the brace, but with board sheathing you need the brace as the boards will move with the wind, etc.

Not sure what it is, but it sounds like it can be removed. I would call someone over to take a look at it.

To advise someone on an important construction technique when you do not know what it is, is dead wrong! And I mean dead, as that could be the result if you remove it.
Do as Neal and I advised... we are both contractors that work in the trade.

Latest posts

Back