DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Green Energy and Sustenance Living > How many folks use the energy saving bulbs?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM  
exportgoods

Holy crap ^ That's scary. I really hope that doesn't happen to mine anytime soon.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:05 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I use ICFs or LEDs wherever possible because of the economics (buy in bulk with utility sponsored pricing).

The exception is where there is a requirement for dimming or compatibility with other bulbs.

The options on the color are improving.

I had one crazy thing happen a couple of years ago when my garage door opener light was burning out quickly and the heavy duty bulbs were no better. I screwed in an ICF that I had and and it has lasted about 3 years so far. Due to cold winter temps, it starts out a little slow, but within a minute, it is at full power.

Dick

Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exportgoods View Post
Holy crap ^ That's scary. I really hope that doesn't happen to mine anytime soon.
It's the only time I've known of it. I pay attention to my bulbs though.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 AM  
carnuck
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Since I change all the ones in our store and home, I see about 3 of those a month. Usually because they were in a high moisture environment.

Going with LEDs as these burn out. Those are nicely adjustable IF you get the 12VDC DC variety and run them through a transformer with a battery system like an RV. If the power goes out here, only the fridge quits working and a light comes on to tell me. After an hour or so, the LPG system starts to run the fridge.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:33 AM  
nunyabiz1
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

We have changed every single bulb/fixture in our house inside and outside to LED.
Gives great light, no heat output, I will never have to change another bulb for as long as we live here.

I also put dimmer switches on just about every single bulb in the house so we can keep the whole house dimly lit at night, just a slight glow enough to see and each LED dimmed that low only burn about 1 watt.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:08 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 390 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 58

If it wouldn't cost me 500 bucks to swap to LED's I probably would.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just replaced practically every light in my home for around $200.00. Lots of 40 watt led's, a few 60's and kept a few CFL's that I already had. I even put four floods outside. They were 75 watts. The wattage I'm using is the equivalency to incandescence's. They are actually much, much lower wattage. The fact that they don't heat up your house is more AC friendly also.

Now, if I only had $50,000 to go solar, I could be electrically independent.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:57 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
Liked 1458 Times on 1286 Posts
Likes Given: 2517

I want to know why new houses are not wired for low dc voltage for the lights. So when you go solar you wouldn't need a converter for the lights

Old 11-07-2014, 10:49 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 390 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Because that would be convenient.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-08-2014, 04:29 PM  
nunyabiz1
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You can buy good LED bulbs and retrofit can lights from Costco.

I think the can lights are only $12 each which can replace every ceiling light in your house, they have ceiling lights that are large domes that are LED also plus numerous bulbs and a outdoor porch light.
I think we paid about $30 each for our can lights 3 years ago.

The porch light is $29 and is about 60W 800-900 lumens
The ceiling dome is $19 and you will need a dimmer because it is BRIGHT
The can lights are $12 also need a dimmer as they are 120W 1300 lumens

If you put in 6 can lights $72
3 ceiling domes $57
A few assorted bulbs in lamps which are cheap now probably $20-$30 for all
a porch light $29

You should be able to LED your whole house for about $200 or less.
PLUS Dimmers if you don't have them which are the most expensive part.

About 8 years ago our Summer time electric bills were over $450/month in a 1900 sq/ft townhome.

Then we replaced our HVAC from the old probably 3 SEER Trane that was still clicking along with no problems and was about 22 years old.
To a 14 SEER Trane and 90% AFUE gas furnace.
Within a month or so also replaced our old water heater from the 22 year old one to a LifeTime guarantee 50 gallon Marathon.
Between those two the electric bill dropped dramatically like over $450 down to about $250.

Then a year or so later we replaced our old electric stove with a nice Gas stove and 19 year old refrigerator which still worked great with a new counter depth Samsung which uses less electricity.
Probably about $220.
Put in an extra R38 batting in the Attic.
Down to about $200 ish

Then a couple years later replaced all lights with LED and right after that fully encapsulated , sealed vents, R13 insulation on walls etc our crawlspace.

Now down to about $160/month and that is after I think about 3 Rate Hikes from the power company "Duke" during this time.

So really with the rate hikes if we had done nothing we were probably looking at close to $500/month and now our highest bills are around $160.00
Lowest in the $80 range.
The Crawlspace encapsulation saved about 18% in Summer not sure about winter but much less to be sure.

People Like This