DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Looking for resource for moved house

Old 08-13-2006, 09:01 AM  
adams77331

Default Looking for resource for moved house

I am looking for a resource for resectioning a moved house. My house was moved in the mid 80s by the previous owner. Whoever resectioned the house did a poor job and I am looking for best pratices on how to stabilize cut floor joists, walls, ceilings, etc. The cut joint is pulling apart and settling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2006, 12:04 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 134 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Default My op....

Get an engineer in there to give you the best options. It's tough to guage that type of project from the computer.
Tell us what happens and keep us in the loop.

Just My
Made in the

Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM  
adams77331

Default Thanks...

Thanks...I was looking for DIY advice. I'll figure it out.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:58 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Adams and Welcome to the Forum:
You seem to be most concerned about the floors, so we'll start there. The cut ends of the floor joists must be fully supported; if they don't occour over a beam or foundation partition wall then you will need to shore up a beam with concrete block piers. The piers can be placed on the dirt after leveling it out. See if you can get a come-along rigged to pull the loose ends together and, while holding them tight put a piece of 18 guage metal on both sides with lots of nails or screws in the metal plate. Each joist or at least every other joist should be rigged with the come-along. You will need someone on the top to let you know when the two sides are flush and you can use shims or wedges to even them up (before the metal).
As for the walls you could put a nice trim board over each opening.
The ceilings could use the same come-along operation; only to get a continous beam you will have to make it from the top. I would still use the metal on the splices, then screw a 2"X6" flat to the top of the joists and a 2"X8" screwed to the side of the 2"X6" making an L shape beam.
If the movement appears to be from settling foundations or if the ceiling has factory tursses in it we need to talk further. Let us know how it turns out, or if we can help any more.
Glenn

Quick Reply