DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Looking for resource for moved house

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Default Looking for resource for moved house

I am looking for a resource for resectioning a moved house. My house was moved in the mid 80s by the previous owner. Whoever resectioned the house did a poor job and I am looking for best pratices on how to stabilize cut floor joists, walls, ceilings, etc. The cut joint is pulling apart and settling.

adams77331 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:04 AM  
inspectorD's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,487
Liked 262 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Default My op....

Get an engineer in there to give you the best options. It's tough to guage that type of project from the computer.
Tell us what happens and keep us in the loop.

Just My
Made in the
inspectorD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:29 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Default Thanks...

Thanks...I was looking for DIY advice. I'll figure it out.
adams77331 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:58 PM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Hello Adams and Welcome to the Forum:
You seem to be most concerned about the floors, so we'll start there. The cut ends of the floor joists must be fully supported; if they don't occour over a beam or foundation partition wall then you will need to shore up a beam with concrete block piers. The piers can be placed on the dirt after leveling it out. See if you can get a come-along rigged to pull the loose ends together and, while holding them tight put a piece of 18 guage metal on both sides with lots of nails or screws in the metal plate. Each joist or at least every other joist should be rigged with the come-along. You will need someone on the top to let you know when the two sides are flush and you can use shims or wedges to even them up (before the metal).
As for the walls you could put a nice trim board over each opening.
The ceilings could use the same come-along operation; only to get a continous beam you will have to make it from the top. I would still use the metal on the splices, then screw a 2"X6" flat to the top of the joists and a 2"X8" screwed to the side of the 2"X6" making an L shape beam.
If the movement appears to be from settling foundations or if the ceiling has factory tursses in it we need to talk further. Let us know how it turns out, or if we can help any more.
glennjanie is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Recently Moved Fridge not cooling tomtomandt General Appliance Discussion 2 04-14-2010 03:10 PM
someone moved my beams!! Eliz2008 Framing and Foundation 12 01-11-2008 07:04 AM
Atlanta Resource for we DIY'ers clickonthex General Home Improvement Discussion 0 09-23-2006 09:57 AM

Newest Threads