What is the best way to quit smoking?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveMarker

Reaction score
What is the best way to quite smoking?

In my opinion, Its not going to be easy but with will power and commitment you can do it. Stay away from cigarettes, always occupy yourself with work and also start chewing gum all the time. Maybe drink coffee instead and stay away from people who smoke all the time. First reduce the amount of cigarettes you take in a day from there quit entirely.

Look at your lab work over a period of time and see how the blood pressure keeps going up, the cholesterol keeps going up, the lung capacity test results go down and then decide how long you want to live and what quality of life you want. Do you want to just live to 60? keep smoking. Live to 70? Cut back. Live to 80 or more? Quit!

If you don't have them, you can't smoke them. Mooching from friends/relatives, smoking O.P.'s (Other People's), won't last long before they tell you to get your own. So just don't buy the damn things. End of problem.

My sister quit cold turkey, shortly after her husband died of multiple cancers from chain-smoking. They had been doing 5 packs a day between them for more than 20 years. She still says she occasionally gets the urge to light up, but it quickly disappears when she remembers the suffering her husband went through the last few months of his life.

Cigarettes are killers. Period. Save the money you'd spend on them, and put it towards a new car or your kids' college fund.

The starting point is to stop making excuses as to why this is not a good time to quit smoking.
I smoked a pack a day for 35yrs. and successfuly quite using the 3-step nicotine patch system. Of course I had to repeat step 3 a couple of times but, eventually kicke the habit. Looking back, it was easier than I thought it was going to be. Looking forward, the hardest part is staying quit. Every now and then the urge to light one up comes out of left field.

i smoked for a while. it was very addicting. but what made me quit was that they just didn't make me feel good. i felt like i was always coming down with a cold or something, they made me feel gross and lethargic. i noticed big changes in my teeth yellowing and graying. i knew i had to stop. so i cut back more and more, and finally got it down to 1 a day. and when i finally did kick the habit, it was like night and day. i had more energy, i felt better, and most of all i got into great shape because my stamina and breathing got better and i was able to do so much more. but i'm not perfect, i will borrow one from a friend if i'm having a beer or whatnot. but other than that....they are gone.

my point it think of all the benefits of not smoking, and push yourself. it can happen

I set a date about 90 days ahead that I was going to quit. When that day came, I just never picked up the pack again. My Wife threw it away after about six months. I was a 3.5 pack a day smoker and loved smoking. But didn't love what they were doing to my health. It's been over 20 years now.

I don't smoke, never have; but I have friends who have quit. From what I can see, different people find success with different approaches. What worked for one hasn't for another, like cold turkey. It worked for my best fishing friend, but he has a very strong will.
Another friend couldn't quit until he went to a hypnotist!
After three office visits he was done smoking.
That was 30 yrs. ago, and he still is his usual self- didn't start seeing ghosts, or coming to work in a dress! :D (... steelmill) :rofl:

Those new electronic cigarettes work for some people too.

Keep at it Steve! You'll find what will work best for you. ;)

Stay strong and don't cold turkey it, that's the worst. Stay strong and be strong willed. It CAN happen and it WILL happen if you push yourself. Think of all the money you will save!

i find it is more of a social thing rather, i have many friends and relatives who are justg "social smokers" which is pretty normal these days so it tends to be just on a saturday night. I know how hard it is to quit like any addiction but determination and will power will get you through.

i find it is more of a social thing rather, i have many friends and relatives who are justg "social smokers" which is pretty normal these days so it tends to be just on a saturday night. I know how hard it is to quit like any addiction but determination and will power will get you through.
It's not an addiction if you only do it when other people are around. It's a habit.

I actually had to do a psychology experiment on with this when I was in college. The thing with quitting cigarettes is the same as losing weight, it has to be a life style change or it won't stick. Do the A-B-C program which is likely to be more effective than anything. Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence is what it stands for. Spend a week getting base line data by just carrying around an index card and writing down how many cigarettes you smoke a day and the A-B-C for each cigarette smoked. The antecedant is basically the preceding behavior, or the "reason" that the target behavior occured. Was it after a meal, driving down the road, saw someone else smoking, just a simple craving, etc etc. The behavior is obviously that you smoked a cigarette. And then record the consequence, how you felt. Did your lungs hurt, if you have kids did they start coughing, did it make you think about quitting even more, etc etc. After about a week you can see which behaviors are more prominent to lead to smoking. Start with the easiest ones first, or the ones that occur less often. Lets say your smoke 3 cigs a day after each meal. Well the meal would be your antecedant, so swap the behavior of smoking out with something like doing the dishes, or going for a walk. Once you get those kicked then move onto the next one. Sorry, I know that was quite a bit but I was trying to be thorough. Good luck with it, I know how tough it can be, but I do know quite a few people that have used this program to quit successfully. You may also want to look into an electronic cigarette for the tough days.

Quite Life ;) JK! Well if you really want to quite smoking then you can , I know its not easier but nothing is impossible! You can do it , yeah ! cheers!

One thing you must do is look at your normal routine and identify your "problem" times. I used to drive 2 hrs to and from work every day down in DC, and it didn't take me long to realize that a good chunk of the smoking was done in the truck, sitting in traffic with nothing to do but sip coffee and light up. I saw what was essentially chain smoking, and attacked that first. It gave me a HUGE headstart on the overall habit...I just took fewer with me on the drive, I would put the others in the toolbox. Once I cut that down, the rest was easier.

Trying to quit cold turkey from 2 packs a day...for me at least...would end poorly. You don't really realize how addictive nicotine is until you don't have it in your system.

One thing you must do is look at your normal routine and identify your "problem" times. I used to drive 2 hrs to and from work every day down in DC, and it didn't take me long to realize that a good chunk of the smoking was done in the truck, sitting in traffic with nothing to do but sip coffee and light up. I saw what was essentially chain smoking, and attacked that first. It gave me a HUGE headstart on the overall habit...I just took fewer with me on the drive, I would put the others in the toolbox. Once I cut that down, the rest was easier.

Trying to quit cold turkey from 2 packs a day...for me at least...would end poorly. You don't really realize how addictive nicotine is until you don't have it in your system.

That's where I had my issues too.

Getting a new car helped.

I smoked for a while when I was a teenager. I wish I never would of started. I eventually quit just my separating myself from the party scene for a while and friends that smoked. You'd be surprised how much of a social thing it can be.

Maybe my story will help help someone stop. I smoked from 20 to 58. When i quit i was at 3 packs a day. I also worked in dusty crawl spaces with no mask. When i quit i just plain quit with no help. Now i am 65, have copd, and i am going in this Fri to have a biopsy on one lung because they think i have caner. When you are young you think you can do anything and get away with it. Paul

Paul, sorry to hear about your medical problems. Prayers for you, your family and the medical staff. Let us know how every thing turns out. You have been a great resource around here and we appreciate your time helping others.

Paul, sorry to hear about your medical problems. Prayers for you, your family and the medical staff. Let us know how every thing turns out. You have been a great resource around here and we appreciate your time helping others.
Thanks for your reply, i will let you know how things come out. Paul

Good Luck Paul, Hope everything turns out to be just a test. Thanks for helping others understand the reality life throws at us all.:):)

Latest posts

Back