peeling bathroom arch...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlabrenneman

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a new first time homeowner and am so thankful to find a place like this! I have noticed a problem in my bathroom and want to fix it quick before it becomes even more of an issue. Here it is...

There is an arch over my bathtub (see the picture for reference). To the best of my knowledge this arch is drywall - nothing special to account for moisture. The paint on the underside of the arch is starting to peel and bubble (see pictures). I cannot see any evidence whatsoever of mold at this point, but I want to take care of this before it gets any worse.

My question is this, can I sand and tile this archway even though it is drywall? I've read conflicting things about tiling over drywall in a shower. This is not exactly in the shower, but it is frequently exposed to moisture/condensation, so pretty much the same thing.

If the answer is yes, tile over it, what is the best way to go about doing that (do I need to use some kind of waterproof sealant, special grout, etc?)

If the answer is no, don't tile over it, how could I fix it instead?

Thanks for the advice!!

DSCF2657.jpg

DSCF2661.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

No you can't tile on that to tile you will have to start from scratch.
Best way is to peel and crapel the paint off and see what's there, corner bead, and see if there's mold if not to me it doesn't look that bad you can get away with spackle and paint it back with a mold proof paint.
That's not a ideal era for a wall or arch way? Mold paint might help you for next time so it doest happen next time.

I agree with isola96, the arch itself is the problem. It traps the steam in the tub area and allows the water to condence on the paint. Most if not all of the arch is decretive and should be removed or install a fan inside that area and use it more often.

Yes, I would agree with others. Just scrape off the peeling paint and when you are sure everything exposed is dry, do some spackle touch up and then repaint.

However, a simple way to deal with this in the future is just towel off the exposed side of the arch after a shower. Check back a little later and towel again. If no water is sitting on the arch for more than a few minutes at a time, the paint should stay secure.

Yeah, a little bit of hassle, but less so than periodic arch repairs.

You need a ceiling exhaust fan inside that shower, or remove the whole arch, as the other poster pointed out all the steams being trapped in that area and it's going to be an on going issue.

joecaption said:
You need a ceiling exhaust fan inside that shower, or remove the whole arch, as the other poster pointed out all the steams being trapped in that area and it's going to be an on going issue.

Yeah exhaust fan would work best even though the window is in there it's too far away. If they have the funds and how to then should be done

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Back