DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Connecting 100lb. tank to indoor heater

Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 AM  
Msupsic
Marc S.

Likes Given: 4

Default Connecting 100lb. tank to indoor heater

I've got a little garage winery, where I need to keep the area at about 65°F all winter long.

My stepfather was nice enough to give me his old 100lb. propane tank, a regulator, about 50 ft of copper line and an indoor propane heater.

I have to run the line from outside, through the garage wall and all the way to the other side of the room. In total, I'll need about 30 feet of supply line to reach from the tank to the heater. The tank has a standard QCC connector, the heating unit has a MPT connector.

Is this something I can handle myself, or should I call in the experts to make the connection?

Tanks (haha),
Marc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msupsic View Post
I've got a little garage winery, where I need to keep the area at about 65°F all winter long.

My stepfather was nice enough to give me his old 100lb. propane tank, a regulator, about 50 ft of copper line and an indoor propane heater.

I have to run the line from outside, through the garage wall and all the way to the other side of the room. In total, I'll need about 30 feet of supply line to reach from the tank to the heater. The tank has a standard QCC connector, the heating unit has a MPT connector.

Is this something I can handle myself, or should I call in the experts to make the connection?

Tanks (haha),
Marc
You can get the adapters you need to run your copper. Make sure you get gas flare nut and not water line nuts. Depending on how cold it gets there, you can only run a small heater off one 100 lb tank. When its cold outside the gas doesn't boil off fast enough to ran a large heater. Paul

Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM  
Msupsic
Marc S.

Likes Given: 4

Default Thanks!

I have all the connectors already, just wasn't sure if it was safe to use the old copper line over again. It's currently coiled up, but I had reservations about unraveling it and bending it over again. I heard things about pinhole leaks and kinks being a danger.

I was thinking it would be better to start fresh with some new line? Is it acceptable to use black propane hose? I've found a few online stores that sell it by the foot.

Propane Hoses

Last edited by Msupsic; 10-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:52 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Connecting 100lb. tank to indoor heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msupsic View Post
I have all the connectors already, just wasn't sure if it was safe to use the old copper line over again. It's currently coiled up, but I had reservations about unraveling it and bending it over again. I heard things about pinhole leaks and kinks being a problem.

I was thinking it would be better to start fresh with some new line? Is it acceptable to use black propane hose? I've found a few online stores that sell it by the foot.

Propane Hoses
It is true that over the years lp gas can eat into a copper line. This takes many years. I would not use any kind of plastic pipe. Either copper or black iron pipe.
Paul

Quick Reply