DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Walkout Basement Insulation Question

Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM  
ddave23

Default Walkout Basement Insulation Question

We have started to finish our basement. We have a non-concrete wall that is a walk out to our yard.
The house was built 6 years ago, and the builder used non faced batt insulation on this outside wall (above grade).

I noticed the other day when i removed all the batt insulation, that the wood was wet and dark smudges (mold?). The batt was also wet on the side facing the outside.

Could this be condensation? or water coming from the outside? I have checked gutters, grade, etc and all appears norm?

What would be the proper way to insulate this non-concrete wall?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1599

If there was no vapour barrier stapled up it could be condensation but you want to check siding, plumbing , windows and doors above. Evan a roof leak may not show up until you see it like this. Whatever it it you need to be sure before you continue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply