Studs - wooden or steel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnymnemonic

Reaction score
Hello,

My contractor wants to use steel studs for the wall, all around my apartment. I understand that this means we must decide now where we want to hang things on the wall, so that he can put blocking in the relevant places.

I also understand that with wooden studs we don't need the same amount of blocking, presumably because nails can go into the wooden stud if need be.

With the above in mind, why are steel studs used at all? And, is it customary for a contractor to use wooden studs if the customer does not indicate either way?

Thanks!

Most often steel studs are used in commercial work and apartments because they do not burn in a fire.
There's no reason I can think of to use them in a reguler home.
Even if he does use them there's no reason you can not still hang things on the wall. Just use fine thread sheetrock screws.

steel studs make for a straighter wall as there is no deviation in manufacture as there would be with wooden studs.

I would say that putting up an interior wall with metal studs is just as much work as using conventional wood lumber. By their very nature, metal studs are impervious to fire, termites, rot, splitting, and any other number of hazards which can befall lumber. But constructing walls with metal studs can be more of a pain than it appears at first.

The main problem with steel is that it is a very good conductor of heat, each stud will present your expensive warm air with an express route out of your home.
Steel is best used where there is at least three inches of polystyrene between it and your warm air.
How are your existing walls constructed?

What's the age of the apartment? Is this just one room
How many apartments are in the section
Since this is a apartment is there a super involved in this decision?
This would be silly to do if your not the only apartment
More info on your apartment please

Hey, thanks for your answers.

The only pre-existing walls are the exterior walls, and these are brick - almost 100 years old. Some inner walls between bedroom + closet and remaining space, nothing more.

As far as layout, this is a ~900sqft, with one large open space (incl kitchen, dining, living, hallway), one bathroom, and one bedroom. Hope this helps.

I inquired my contractor about heat conductivity and he says he will have additional layers on top of the steel studs, making heat conduction a non-issue.

Back