DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Very old forced air gas furnace keeps running.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM  
auntybb

Default Very old forced air gas furnace keeps running.

My friend has an old house with an old gas furnace. After she had her thermostat replaced she continued to hear her furnace running after it kicked on. She has no money, and like me, is a woman of a certain age. She's afraid to call a repairman because she's afraid that he'll tell her to get a new furnace. Is it possible that my friend and I could fix this with instructions? We are NOT skilled. She is more hopeless than I am. Her husband has dementia and is always cold. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntybb View Post
My friend has an old house with an old gas furnace. After she had her thermostat replaced she continued to hear her furnace running after it kicked on. She has no money, and like me, is a woman of a certain age. She's afraid to call a repairman because she's afraid that he'll tell her to get a new furnace. Is it possible that my friend and I could fix this with instructions? We are NOT skilled. She is more hopeless than I am. Her husband has dementia and is always cold. Thank you.
You have to be more detailed, Are you saying the heat keeps going so its over heating? or are you saying the blower won't turn off? Can you take pic. of the controls with the covers off. so i can see what you have. Paul
paulm989@hotmail.com

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The key is, the thermostat was changed and then it stated messing up. Who changed it?
One wire put in the wrong place or the wrong thermostat and it's not going to work.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM  
auntybb

Thanks, Guys,
Sorry that I wasn't clearer. The heat continues to blow after the furnace kicks on. She had her thermostat changed by her bro-in-law because he thought that a new one might solve the problem. Unfortunately, the furnace continues to blow heat until she turns off the electricity to the old monster.
I have never been in her basement, but I'll be happy to take a picture for you later this week.
I truly appreciate the help. She's in a tough spot.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Guys,
Sorry that I wasn't clearer. The heat continues to blow after the furnace kicks on. She had her thermostat changed by her bro-in-law because he thought that a new one might solve the problem. Unfortunately, the furnace continues to blow heat until she turns off the electricity to the old monster.
I have never been in her basement, but I'll be happy to take a picture for you later this week.
I truly appreciate the help. She's in a tough spot.
First we have to find out if the problem is in the stat , wiring, or furnace. When the heat keeps going you need to go to the furnace and take one stat wire off and see if the burner goes out. If it doesn't then the problem is in the furnace.
Could be a sticking gas valve. If you check it by taking a stat wire off at the furnace, let me know what happens.
When the stat is turned down for a hr. or so, when you turn power on does it
fire up with out turning up stat? Paul

Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM  
auntybb

Thanks, Paul. I'll do it. Where is the stat wire going to connect on the furnace? I'm willing, but you'll have to go slowly with me. Actually, I'd love to learn something about this. I'll check it this weekend.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Paul. I'll do it. Where is the stat wire going to connect on the furnace? I'm willing, but you'll have to go slowly with me. Actually, I'd love to learn something about this. I'll check it this weekend.
I would suggest you take the doors off the furnace and take some pic. because its hard to answer question when i can't see what we are working with.
paulm989@hotmail,com Paul

Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM  
auntybb

Hi, Paul,

I have several photographs, finally. I wasn't sure what you might want, so I took a bunch. How should I send them to you? Upload? Email? Thank you so much.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Nortron Electric Furnace

Quote:
Hi, Paul,

I have several photographs, finally. I wasn't sure what you might want, so I took a bunch. How should I send them to you? Upload? Email? Thank you so much.
just email them to me. paul

Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 PM  
auntybb

Hi Paul, My camera wouldn't take really-close closeups, so this is the best that I can do. I tried to get all of the angles, but I had no idea what I was looking for. I have one more photo, but the message would only let me send five. I'm curious to know if you can even see what's there. Thanks again. Kathy

HPIM3755.jpg   HPIM3756.jpg   HPIM3757.jpg   HPIM3758.jpg   HPIM3759.jpg  

Quick Reply