Re-Carpet on back-less stairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marielapagina

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I know nearly nothing about home repair but am dying to learn and will do the work to ask questions and research. So please be kind...

My situation is that I bought a 1979 split-level house. The steps are the ones without the backing. They're just horizontal steps, you know? The carpet wrapped around them is YUCKY. How could I go about removing the carpet and recarpetting them myself? It doesn't seem like a really difficult thing and I would love some nicer carpet on them...

For this job you would be far better off to get a pro carpet layer to do it. Your not going to have the tools or the know how to make it come out perfect.
Nothing wrong with you removing the old to save money but it's tricky to relay it.

This would not be the place to learn carpet installation. When you do find a place to try it, you will learn that is a job for the pros.

I remember a veteran carpet layer telling me a few years ago (when he was reinstalling new carpet on our stairs that the original installer had messed up a few weeks earlier) that anyone can lay carpet, but getting it right on stairways is where the you can see the difference between amateurs and professionals. Doing it right, getting all of the wrinkles out and hiding all of the edges would be a challenge for anyone.

If you insist on trying it yourself, get a good electric or better yet, pneumatic stapler (you'll also need a compressor for the latter). A good steel straight-edge is essential, as is a quality carpet knife (they're known as widow-makers for a reason, with double exposed sharp edges). Good luck.

Isn't it odd that the pickets on the hand railing are less than 4" apart so kids can't get thru but you can have a 6" opening on open stairs!

A diyer can carpet stairs, but it isn't easy. It's one of those jobs you should have a pro do.

My code book says if it's more the two treads there must be risers to get rid of that back gap.

I have done several spiral staircases with 13-14 open stairs. But there are no codes in much of this area. The only one to enforce anything are insurance companies.

Latest posts

Back