DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Southern California Wind :(

Old 12-01-2011, 05:50 PM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Southern California Wind :(

Last night, the wind was reported to be 60-90 mph. My newly built fence is loose as a result (half of the fence). When I built the fence, I use a "U" metal bracket and bolted on top of the retainer wall for the posts (poured concrete into the hole of the brick, etc).

Anyways, I need to brace the fence stronger.

I am thinking of placing a terminal metal post 2 3/8" behind the fence for every other current post (not all the posts, every other)

Prior to the fence being built, I had shrubs that was like 10 feet high. Currently the back neighbor has a chainlink fence (see pic) and my fence is about 2.5 ft away.

I did measure the property line which is right on the retainer wall, but don't know why his chainlink fence was built at that current spot. If I place the terminal post on the other side of the fence, technically its on his land.

When I was building the fence, the neighbor did offer to allow me to brace my fence to his fence for support Please advise.

Btw, my coworker, she lost half of her fence from the strong wind.

TIA,
tntrac

Last edited by tractng; 12-01-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

There's no guarantee your neighbor will be there forever. And when his replacement moves in, and wants your brace posts removed immediately from his property, you're in for a bunch more work.

I'd either install the posts on my side of the fence (paint them white, no one except you will ever notice), or get a written and notarized easement from the neighbor, stating your posts can remain on his property for perpetuity. And while you're at it, why not cut a few slots (openings) in your fence so it doesn't think it's a sail?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 AM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
There's no guarantee your neighbor will be there forever. And when his replacement moves in, and wants your brace posts removed immediately from his property, you're in for a bunch more work.

I'd either install the posts on my side of the fence (paint them white, no one except you will ever notice), or get a written and notarized easement from the neighbor, stating your posts can remain on his property for perpetuity. And while you're at it, why not cut a few slots (openings) in your fence so it doesn't think it's a sail?
I am thinking really hard about putting the posts on my side. It is not really that bad once my palm grows. I am growing 4 palms along the wall now.

Quick Reply