DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Brasscraft angle valve cracked

Old 12-26-2011, 04:47 PM  
Seemer

Default Brasscraft angle valve cracked

Has anyone else experienced a cracked 1/4 turn Brasscraft angle valve in recent months? Mine is a 1/2" inlet X 3/8" outlet Mod. #G2R17X C1. After a year of service, the inlet portion of the valve cracked and has sprung a leak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seemer
Has anyone else experienced a cracked 1/4 turn Brasscraft angle valve in recent months? Mine is a 1/2" inlet X 3/8" outlet Mod. #G2R17X C1. After a year of service, the inlet portion of the valve cracked and has sprung a leak.
I have had the compression rings go after only weeks it happens maybe tighten up too tight never seen the body crack though. still can't go wrong with those there so easy To put in love them!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Someone over tightened it. Buy a new one and use teflon pipe dope not tape this time.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:33 PM  
robertgelling

Default Brasscraft 1/4 turn angle valve

I installed two of these about a year and a half ago on a bath sink. I had to replace the hot supply about 9 months ago. Just replaced the cold supply today (Sunday!). Both cracked. Installed with teflon tape and never overtighten. I've replaced a bunch of valves in my time and it's extremely rare to incur a cracked valve, much less two. Must be the cheap material they are using in China.
These are rentals properties by the by.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 AM  
Seemer

Robert,

You are the first to respond to my post that incurred a similar problem with cracked Brasscraft angle valves. Three of these cracked on me about 18 months after installation by a professional plumber causing leakage and damage. Unknown to me, my remodel contractor installed 9 of these which have all been changed. They were all stamped with TK09, which I believe is a Brasscraft date code. I sent one cracked one and two uncracked ones back to Brasscraft in Dec. 2011 and they opened a claim number. They promised me test results, but after repeated requests, they have reported nothing. I sure would like to know more about these faulty valves, but Brasscraft has been less than forthcoming. They really have caused me grief and my neighbor underneath too.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM  
lostinwesttx

Those valves may have been "no-lead" & because of the lack of lead the brass is now brittle. I believe the manufacturers are addressing this on their web sites; about tightening the use of non-marring wrenches or pliers so as to not accidentally "score" the brass product. The KT Brasscraft 1/4 turn valves have been snapping off the handles here in West Texas just from "hard water"

Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM  
gottodo1

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Please file it with the BBB. I use the BBB to screen companies for new electronics and when I'm making home purchases. If you post on there people will see it, and the company will need to give you a resolution. They may be awful and just mechanical failure but if you post it and others post it there's a record of it and you can see how bad it is. It's one of the only ways of keeping a company honest about faulty products.

Quick Reply