Cutting header

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak

Reaction score
I am remodeling a garage that has a recessed electrical panel. I have removed the romex and want to put in emt conduit. Since I dont have the flexibility in emt the easiest way to put it in is to cut out part of the header about 12 inches long and 1 inch deep. The header is made of 2 2x4's. If I reinforce the adjacent studs by doubling them up with another 2x4 is this enough to pass inspection?

I suspect that strengthening the wall studs will do nothing to increase the load-carrying ability of a compromised header. From what you've described, the best move might be to install an inverted steel angle (upside down capital "L"), about 4' or 5' long, centered over the chopped-out header. It can be screwed into the header and ceiling joists with some hefty deck screws, staggering the header holes, 6" c.-c.. Based on the AISC steel manual, a mild steel L 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/4 has more than twice the (bending moment) carrying capacity of a single 2 x 4 typical SPF wood header member.

Let's just check the language. A header holds up the roof over a door or window, is that what you are talking about? Or are you talking about the two 2x4s on the flat above the studs at the top of the wall?

2x4 header doesn't sound right...usually 2x6 at minimum.

Gable wall in this garage, maybe? People will often set small headers in gable walls when they aren't even needed...just to make it look right to them.

As nealtw suggested, the OP might be confusing "header" with double top plate of 2 x 4s.

Back