DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > steam heating - mold everywhere :(




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 PM  
elsewhere
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default steam heating - mold everywhere :(

what to do? I try to keep the window open - nevermind the cold - but when it's dump outside, the steam is coming both from outside and the radiator.



__________________
elsewhere is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 PM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default steam heating - mold everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
what to do? I try to keep the window open - nevermind the cold - but when it's dump outside, the steam is coming both from outside and the radiator.
So why are the steam radiator's leaking steam. they are not suppose to.
Is your air bleeders leaking? If so change them. Steam heat should not make any more moisture then hot water or hot air. Paul


__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM  
elsewhere
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul52446m View Post
So why are the steam radiator's leaking steam. they are not suppose to.
Is your air bleeders leaking? If so change them. Steam heat should not make any more moisture then hot water or hot air. Paul
Wait, really? I never had that kind of heating system before so I'm shocked how could this ever be functional.

All the radiators in the apartment (and the one in the hall too) are blowing steam like a boiling kettle, so I don't think it's a matter of something being broken.

A radiator doesn't look like sort of a metal picket fence with little vent on the side.
It is a metal box with holes in it that has two metal pipes and what goes on inside I don't know but the heat comes in form of steam.

Water is dripping from walls and ceiling, wetting the bed. I was away for 3 weeks, found my bedroom all molded including bedsheets and clothes in my closet!
__________________
elsewhere is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default steam heating - mold everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Wait, really? I never had that kind of heating system before so I'm shocked how could this ever be functional.

All the radiators in the apartment (and the one in the hall too) are blowing steam like a boiling kettle, so I don't think it's a matter of something being broken.

A radiator doesn't look like sort of a metal picket fence with little vent on the side.
It is a metal box with holes in it that has two metal pipes and what goes on inside I don't know but the heat comes in form of steam.

Water is dripping from walls and ceiling, wetting the bed. I was away for 3 weeks, found my bedroom all molded including bedsheets and clothes in my closet!
It sounds like all your air bleeders need replacing because there is not suppose to be any steam coming out into the rooms. Send me some pic. of where the steam is coming out. At the top of the radiator's there is a air bleeder to let air out and if they don't turn off and close when steam hits them , then they will blow steam out. Is this your home. or a rental home?
Paul
__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM  
joecaption
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hartfield VA, VA
Posts: 1,361
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Heating guys correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will. Seems strange all of them leaking at the same time.
Is it true or not that the radiadors need to be sitting with one side higher then the other. If someone put in new flooring and set them level would that not cause something like this.

__________________
joecaption is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 05:12 PM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Heating guys correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will. Seems strange all of them leaking at the same time.
Is it true or not that the radiadors need to be sitting with one side higher then the other. If someone put in new flooring and set them level would that not cause something like this.
I assume most floors are level, on a one line system , the pipe is large enough so
the steam can enter on the top of the pipe and return water can flow back at the bottom of the pipe. On two line system the steam pushes the water out the other end. I suppose it would not hurt to raise one end or the other a little but it should work without doing this.
As far as this mans leaks, it would have to be one of a few things.
Cracked casting, Push nipple's leaking, air bleeders bad, pipes interring the rad.
leaking , or balance valves going to the rad. leaking. This man needs to pinpoint the leaks and tell us whats going on or we can't help him.
__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM  
elsewhere
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul52446m View Post
I assume most floors are level, on a one line system , the pipe is large enough so
the steam can enter on the top of the pipe and return water can flow back at the bottom of the pipe. On two line system the steam pushes the water out the other end. I suppose it would not hurt to raise one end or the other a little but it should work without doing this.
As far as this mans leaks, it would have to be one of a few things.
Cracked casting, Push nipple's leaking, air bleeders bad, pipes interring the rad.
leaking , or balance valves going to the rad. leaking. This man needs to pinpoint the leaks and tell us whats going on or we can't help him.
Hah, no floor or wall is leveled in this apt. It's a rental and repairs super comes to do I watch and think: I could've asked my dog to do this.

I'll post some pics soon as I'm home from work.


__________________
elsewhere is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Steam Boiler Replacement elrodalonzo HVAC 13 11-24-2011 06:27 PM
DIY steam room? DIYHomeDesign Pools and Spas 5 08-22-2011 02:38 AM
Carpeting around old Steam Radiator gariecrowder Flooring 4 09-03-2009 12:40 PM
Steam Shower yasminparker Plumbing Forum 0 06-11-2005 02:43 AM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS