Thinking about a new Deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imported_AJH

Reaction score
I am getting ready to add a deck to the back of my house. When the time comes to choose a contractor, how will I distinguish between a certified, experienced contractor and someone who is in it for a buck? I figured I would do a little research and some probing in forums to get some help from other people that have already experienced these types of additions to their home.
Thanks!

-One thing that I would always do is ask for a list of references and then actually call the references for feedback.
-Don't hire based on lowest price alone. I have found that quality sometimes comes at a price, but in the long run is worth it.
-Find out what the contractor's quality standards are.
-Ask how long the contractor has been in business?
-Always verify insurance! My friend once hired a lawn service and later found out they were not licensed and ran into some problems.
-See if they have a profolio of past work.

Hope this helped

I would definately get references. If they are not an established company, I would not go with them. For big jobs, like a deck, I want someone who is experienced!

I say the same thing a s Guru. I know of many people who took the cheapest and had to do the whole thing again. I did my deck myself with a good friend who works in that domain.
You might be able to ask for previous work and see photos. Make shure you know what he's doing before he gets started. Also going to many different workers will give you a bigger range of choice. Unfortenatly...it's going to cost you.

And there is always the option of doing it yourself! That is what I did, and the only help I had was from my mother! Yes, my mother! LOL...I found the plans online and then bought everything I needed at Lowes (such a great store)! Took about a week and then I had a great deck at the fraction of the cost of hiring a contractor. Not a solution for everyone, but it's definitely an option! Cause believe me...if I could do it, anyone can do it!

What I would do is set up a meeting. Get him to come out to your house and do a estimate. This will give you some time to get to know the man on a personal basis and see what he knows and what he dont. If he dresses nice and presents himself well, then he could be a good pick. You want to make sure you find someone who gives you a good price. Hope this helps! Good luck.

I have a trick that helps me out when choosing a contractor. I simply check out some of his "old" work. I check to see how he did and if the "structure" is still in good standing. This will let you know if he does a good job. Seeing some of his work might be a good idea.

Another quick thing to do would be to make sure he is licensed.

I am getting ready to add a deck to the back of my house. When the time comes to choose a contractor, how will I distinguish between a certified, experienced contractor and someone who is in it for a buck? I figured I would do a little research and some probing in forums to get some help from other people that have already experienced these types of additions to their home.
Thanks!

The best advice I can give you in looking for a contractor is get a referral from a friend! My husband and I were able to find a great contractor who does work quickly and for a fair price, because he came highly recommended by a friend. Good luck with your search! :p

Rebecca

Little Rock Patio Furniture

Latest posts

Back