Pressure Treated?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admin_old

Reaction score
My wife has asked me a question about pressure treated wood. She has read online that old pressure treated wood is no longer available because of the preservatives used previously. She has asked me if my old decking is leaching out these old preservatives, and should replace my old decking...

(I wonder if she just wants a new deck?)

Any suggestions? Have they really changed the preservatives used?

I have heard that if you have an existing deck, with pressure treated wood, it poses no danger. Actually tearing it down could release more chemicals than leaving it in place! I will try and find a reference to this and post it...

she maybe just wants a new deck ;)

Like the above post states pressure treated wood shouldn't be a problem.

I used pressure treated wood on my deck. Didn't have any problems with it and don't know why they would have changed it. Can't imagine the expense of having to upgrade your deck to any changes though! Here is another site that gives you info on the subject, if you want to read up!

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html

I'll quote a section that you might feel important:

If CCA is potentially dangerous, should I tear out my old deck? It's otherwise in great shape.

Absolutely not. Existing decks pose no danger and, in fact, tearing them out may release more chemical than leaving them in place! (See the safety precautions below.)

Also, the EPA has stated that applying a penetrating oil finish as needed to pressure-treated wood surfaces (that have human contact) can lessen or eliminate human and animal exposure to CCA in existing decks.

I found a really good article on pressure treated decks. Thought I would share.

Q: My deck and my children’s playset are made of pressure treated wood, which I’ve heard could be dangerous. What are my alternatives?

A: For many years, more than 90 percent of all pressure treated wood contained chromium copper arsenic (CCA), an arsenic-laden wood preservative to prevent damage from rot, insects and fungi. Arsenic, a known human carcinogen, can leach to the surface of the wood and into surrounding soil, exposing children to unsafe levels. Tests have shown that even years after installation, arsenic continues to leach from pressure treated wood.

In 2002, wood manufacturers agreed with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to phase out CCA-treated wood by December 31, 2003. Many manufacturers and retailers have already complied, switching to safer alternatives.

Resource:http://healthychild.org/resources/health_faq/

This problem has happened to me. I had an old porch (wood) and about a year ago I had gardens placed all around it. Well because of some odd chemical the deck leaked into the soil near it, no plants lived. So I got rid of that deck put in a new one and got some new soil...everything was fine. So going on that experience it may cause a problem for your gardens :D

The EPA still allows cca to be used to treat lumber, just not in sizes normally used for decking or playscapes. 2x6's & smaller can not be treated with cca, but 2x8's & up can be. Most 6x6's & large timbers are still treated with cca. Although you can get it for 2x8's it is not usually stocked by lumber yards & must be special ordered.

Al

On a side not I used to buy my treated lumber directly from a treatment plant, the old boy that ran the place died of cancer some years ago.

Latest posts

Back