Piles with Dek Blocks?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk

Reaction score
I recently purchased a package for a 16' X 16' deck from Home Depot, and seem to have most of the materials, but under review of my bill, I noticed that in addition to concrete and sonotubes, I also have Dek Blocks. Every article I read, refers to using piles and post anchors ( the kind with rebar, clamp that a 4" X 4" post slides into and you screw into).

So what is the right method? I almost feel like I should return the Dek Blocks, and get anchors to put on top of the piles once I make them, it almost seems to make more sense. How in the world would I connect my Dek Blocks to the piles?!?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

6 views, and not one reply...pretty lame...great forum...

It might be possible that those 6 views thought they might be able to help but couldn't? I know that when I made my deck, I only used anchors. They made the deck as stable as a house. I personally am not familiar with dek blocks, so I can't help you...but if you're really that lost, stick with the anchors! You can't go wrong with them! :D

I did use the dek blocks for my Home Depot kit. We actually did sink them about half way into the ground. We used 4x4's to level out the deck. Get some string and a string level.

The 4x4 just sit ontop of the dek block and your beams sit ontop of the 4x4's. The weight and span of the deck will keep them in place Toe nail in from the beam to the 4x4.

Now this isn't probably the best way to build a deck, but it was easier and less expensive than all the contrete and renting a post digger. Plus my deck isn't that high off the ground - just 2' at the highest point.

I wrote about it on my blog here http://easydeck.blogspot.com/

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back