DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Foundation cracks

Old 03-14-2012, 01:51 PM  
scuba22

Default Foundation cracks

Have block foundation and I have various cracks appearing inside and outside the house along the edges of some of the blocks. I can't see to the outside or anything, but I was wondering if I could fill those cracks with something. I figured there was some kind of caulk to repair concrete that I could fill the crack with. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

Welcome to a new member
If these cracks are new, you may want to determen the cause before getting into it. They may be an indecator of a bigger problem with footing or drainage.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM  
scuba22

Well our basement has a drainage system similar to b-dry where it drains along the footing into two sump pumps. The pumps are new and working. The cracks were there before, but I don't think we're as large. I can post a pic sometime as well.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 928 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

We don't do much work on block walls and I'm sure you can fill cracks with non-shrink grout or something. If you are draining area around footing that weren't drained before might indicate, the footing settleing. If thsi has been drained for six months or so,
it probably isn't going to get much worse, but it does want to be watched.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:38 AM  
Michaelolding1

It seems a simple mortar with polymer bonding adaptive would be sufficient to close off joints. The freshly TP joints then become your monitor for any future movement as these are the stress release areas.

Quick Reply