DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > what to grow above septic drain field?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:58 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default what to grow above septic drain field?

We currently have plain old grass on top of the drain field. My husband heard somewhere that code requires grass, and that is the only thing you can grow above it. So far, we haven't been able to find anyone who "knows" about these things. I understand not wanting roots to corrupt the function of the drain lines, but I'd much rather plant something else. Firstly, we're trying to eliminate mowed grass from our property- -I know, we're nuts. Secondly, I'd like to plant something aromatic like lavender. So, who out there knows the nature of septic fields? What are my limitations for planting?
No hurry, we've got oodles of time. The grass can stay, especially if it has to. But, it's fall, and as soon as I finish the giant hole in the front of my house, I'll be dreaming of how to landscape our new facade.
Thanks for any ideas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 07:53 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Default Lavender sounds nice....

The basics are you can plant anything with no extensive root systems.
This means any wildflowers or grass.
No small trees or schrubs are recommended...you know why.
Also ....don't plant anything you want to eat.

My last house we had a wildflower field with all kinds of stuff, the sunflowers really grew there.

Have fun with it.

Never heard of a grass code.

Just My
Made in the

Old 09-23-2006, 11:49 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Bethany:
Grasses are good for septic tank drain fields, except for Bermuda grass which has roots and rizones 3' deep. We use a lot of Fescue in Kentucky for erosion control.
The theory of septic drain fields is that the water is not soaked up by the earth but evaporates by sunlight and the more vegetation, the better the evaporation. With that in mind some aquatic plants like Cat-tails, Cane or Bamboo should do the job. River birch trees and Cypress would do well too. I don't know where the drain field is in relation to your house and how decorative or private you would like to make it. Vetch would be another high evaporator with beautiful purple blossoms and lots of greenery. I see the roots more as a conduit to remove the water rather than a blockage; solids don't run in the drain field anyway.
The one plant you don't want is Cudzu the Japanese vining plant that has been used on highway right of ways and has taken over acres of land nearby. It is a very agressive vine that is almost impossible to kill out. Just some options to think about.
Glenn

Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 AM  
akradar

OK pardon me butting in, but grass and vegetation is good, trees are not? I have sticker bushes and tall grass on mine, it's kind of back in the woods behind the house. I usually whack it all down once a summer. But some vegetation is OK?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-20-2008, 08:42 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cedar Trees

My dad's place has cedar trees about 20 ft away from the drainage field. He's lived there over 15 years and hasn't had a problem with them. The nice thing about them is that they use water in the winter and in the summer.

Quick Reply