DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Tray ceiling

Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM  
ratherhandy

Default Tray ceiling

Would love to put a tray ceiling in my dining room but I am not sure on how to frame it. I want to put a square within a square tray ceiling not the one that's just perimeter recessed if this makes sense. If you have any idea how to help me or need more info please reply. Thank you in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 921 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 1585

Meny people just build a shot wall and attach that to the ceiling and run a 2x4 along the wall. A few blocks between the wall and the the 2x4 to keep it straight. We found that often the ceiling joists are up and down and this is transferred to the box below so now we attach a 2x4 to the ceiling and come down with a peice of plywood or osb and attach a lower 2x4 to that on the inside and you can put that in level and level across to put a 2x4 on the wall and then the few blocks to keep it straight. For a double we just start with a 12" drop and than do it again with a 6" drop.
Keep in mind, if this area has not been drywalled yet, you do want to stop loose insulation from entering this cavity with poly or something and the wall should be firestopped. Any fire in the wall wants to be stopped from entering this drop. You could drywall first, or solid block between the studs in the wall or put plywood between the wall and your box.
I hope this helps

Old 04-07-2012, 02:39 PM  
ratherhandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw
Meny people just build a shot wall and attach that to the ceiling and run a 2x4 along the wall. A few blocks between the wall and the the 2x4 to keep it straight. We found that often the ceiling joists are up and down and this is transferred to the box below so now we attach a 2x4 to the ceiling and come down with a peice of plywood or osb and attach a lower 2x4 to that on the inside and you can put that in level and level across to put a 2x4 on the wall and then the few blocks to keep it straight. For a double we just start with a 12" drop and than do it again with a 6" drop.
Keep in mind, if this area has not been drywalled yet, you do want to stop loose insulation from entering this cavity with poly or something and the wall should be firestopped. Any fire in the wall wants to be stopped from entering this drop. You could drywall first, or solid block between the studs in the wall or put plywood between the wall and your box.
I hope this helps
Thanks a lot it does

Quick Reply