Lawn mower spring start

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpyue

Reaction score
I am checking my Lawn Mower ready for the summer. If I took the blade away and start the Lawn Mower, will this damage the Lawn Mower?

I don't think it would harm the motor if you only run it for a short period of time to see if it will start when the time comes to actually mow.
Resistance of the blade to the mower would be a legitimate concern but, I think it would be Ok as these motors in other applications run without a load.

be cautious when starting a mower without a blade, the added weight of the blade helps spin the mower past the compression stroke... without that, the rope could pull back and cause some serious discomfort... best thing to do is slowly pull the rope until you feel resistance, then give it a quick sharp pull

Not at all, as the engine does not decipher whether or not there is a blade on the mount or not. While it is not a good idea to run the engine without a blade, it is at times necessary to diagnose trouble.

Latest posts

Back