DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > What can i do with this big yard?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM  
hi2uall

Default What can i do with this big yard?

Yay wondering I'd anyone has any ideas for landscaping? I like all the ideas people give.
Thanks

image-2534035603.jpg   image-4237664591.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM  
rick1953fowler
Fowler Power

A rock garden would look nice on that side view. And maybe a small little fish pond to go with it.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 PM  
MrMiz

Likes Given: 3

Save the money on the landscaping and buy a riding lawn mower! a really nice big one. Sitting on a nice lawn mower for an hour or so is a lot easier work than digging weeds out of rocks, mulch, and plants. Buying new mulch every year, buying new plans, and "prettying" up your rocks is a LOT of work. Plus you can usually drive a riding lawn mower till your a few years over 100 if your lucky. The landscaping I have done will be the death of me.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Landscaping projects are a lot of fun, but we don't have enough info about your property to really get into it. And let's not even get into budget concerns...

But I see a nice border along your driveway, and some low plantings in front of your house to give it some definition.

If you you get elaborate, you'll have to make sure you can keep it looking nice; the more gardens, the more weeds. So MrMiz may be right about a big mower.

What about your family needs? Do you have kids, dogs???

Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 AM  
Bachtia112

Wow. I really hope i have one big yard.so i can plant some flowers i love

Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM  
RickMerlander

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Adding a little more color

The traingular area in the middle of the driveway is a nice area to landscape as it is a natural focal point + the driveway will prevent invasive grass or weeds from entering it. So it is a good area to experiment with groundcovers, and different flowering plants and shrubs. Since it looks like a full sun area you will want plants that like full sun ( same with the groundcovers ).

Rick Merlander
Molokai Hawaii

nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM  
dyimonkey

I see plenty of space for trees, flowers and some vegetable beds, but I guess it depends on what you would like to have. You can have a patio with benches, outdoor shed too...

Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 AM  
theayale

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It needs a lot of landscaping but you got it all there, all you have to do is improve all of it. I imagine there would be a small fountain with a little park on it. Also do not forget the landscaping lights that will illuminate your garden during the might and it would be perfect. What do you think?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

I realize it's an old post, but before spending a lot of time and effort on prettying up the landscaping, you might first consider installing a new roof (replacing what's there now) on the house--the existing shingles look a bit distressed, even with the poor resolution and scale of the photo.

I've never been fond of being a slave to my yard. The vicious cycle of mowing/watering/fertilizing never did much for me, and the older I get, the less appeal it has. I've been mowing a 1.5 acre parcel (in 3 different states) with a John Deere tractor/54" mower off and on for the last 12 years, and it hasn't gotten any more fun as the years pass by. I'd much rather be tinkering out in my shop.

If I was looking at some landscaping ideas for the subject yard, high on the list would be some colorful, low-growing ground cover. The kind that doesn't need food, water or mowing--just plant it and forget it.

Last edited by BridgeMan; 12-02-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM  
AlanW

Dude you could turn this place into a beautiful, envious spot! I'd say keep it keen, water the place, grow some flowers and make it stylish! ;D

Last edited by AlanW; 01-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply