Mystery Substance leaking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify what this may be. I just noticed a little access hatch located behind my furnace- leaking. It appears to be orange/brown in colour and dries to some type of crust.

I live in a 55 year old house and we recently had some plumbing work done 5 months ago to replace the ceramic pipes running under the house. I wonder if it's related to the mystery substance?

where it's leaking from.jpg

Stuff on Floor.jpg

Efflorescence. Minerals (calcium, salt, lime) being leached/washed out of the concrete due to moisture such as a water leak.
Is it possible that what ever plumbing work you had done was to correct a water leak or perhaps created a water leak?

Open the hatch and take a look.

there's a new furnace installed - so as far as we know this access door isn't connected to anything inside the house. It only recently start leaking that crusty orange stuff so water must have gotten in there somehow.

That's the mystery, the access door is located on the wall behind where our furnace is installed. We have no clue where it leads to.

oldog/newtrick- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

We googled chimney cleanouts and the pictures we found are exactly like what we're dealing with. Apparently all the raining recently caused the flooding. I need to get the chimney cap fixed and have something brought in to seal the cleanout permanently.

Back