shower walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthornton

inspector gadget
Reaction score
I'm totally remodeling a bathroom ... I'm down to studs and bare floor. I'm putting in a new Kohler tub and 5 piece tub surround. question is this: after I put some plastic sheet on the wall, must I put backer board up before installing the tub surround, or can I attach the surround directly to the studs? I have some backer board because I was originally going to do ceramic tile, but it seems like a waste to use that behind a plastic surround.

Depending on the tub surround. If you are using a 1,2 or 3 piece bathtub, it goes to the studs and you board around it. If you have that thin plastic sheeting type surround you need backing for it.

Thanks. Its not too thin - it has the molded for soap and shampoo, but it may not be strong enough on its own. What do you think of that "greenboard"?

I wouldn't use it, it's still just gypsum board, just with a waterproof coating. I had it in my bathroom and it was pretty spongey when I tore it down. I used "Hardiebacker" behind my tiles, it is pricy, but really cut down on sound transfer.

I would prep the wall just like you were going to put up tile. Backer board taped and filled with thin set and sealed with Red Gaard or simular product. That way if or when you decide the tub surround is just not good enough you can pull it down and your ready for tile.

The manufacturer usually has specs as to how the surrounds are to be attached. I am about to install one that attaches directly to studs PER SPECS. The area around the surround will not be tiled, so I am free to use what ever I want. I am using green board only because it will be in a bathroom but NOT exposed to direct water.

I would consult the manufacturer for their recommendations. A 1-800 call could save a lot of hassle.

Thanks to all for your input. Neal, you do make a very valid point that if I did ever decide to go with tile, hardiebacker would be all ready for it. If I put the surround directly on the studs and decide to change to tile, it would be a major ordeal to do it right. Thanks for the comment on the green board. I've seen it on the TV shows, but have no experience with it.

Latest posts

Back