DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > wide pine flooring restoration

Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM  
lgarbacz

Default wide pine flooring restoration

I have wide pine fllooring throughout my house. Through 12 yrs of dogs and kids it is now all scraped and gouged. I like the "lived in" look but would like it to look like it is worn but not neglected. There are also 1/2 to 3/4 inch gaps between each board due to shrinkage. They are a nightmare to keep clean. Any ideas on how to fill these gaps as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 02:25 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gaps that wide are impossible to fill. Are you sure about the width of the gaps?
Fillers will limit the movement and obviously, there has been movement there.
Wide pine being a softer wood, may have absorbed the stains deeply. You wil have to considerable sanding to get them back to clean. Spot sanding will always be obvious..

Have you considered taking them up and having them reinstalled?
A proper installation will take care of the gaps and will break up the scratch and stain patterns. You may lose one room due to new cuts and throw aways, but one room could be done with new wood and would look great.

It sounds like the flooring was not cured before installation. New flooring needs to set in a home and dry before installation, giving it time to shrink and settle into the climate you intend to keep in the home.

Would love to see pictures, What is the pine floor installed over?

Welcome to the forum, I wish I could give you a quick fix idea.
Tom

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply