DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Roof / Chimney / leak

Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM  
brasilmom

Default Roof / Chimney / leak

Greetings,

I got a new issue going on. Our roof was replaced in 2009, so it is a brand new roof and got a brand new "flat" roof as well. Last Sunday (5/6) we had a very heavy rain and ended up finding water in the ceiling in our sunroom. After the rain we did a inspection and concluded that it was not coming from the "flat" roof, as the chimney is above that. Today the roof contractor came by and after inspection concluded that there are point in our chimney that are probably to blame. Now, he could be right and could be wrong. In any event, there are some tuck point that needs to be done and I want to ask about doing it ourselves. I am not sure how else to check for the leaks...

Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Wait for everything to dry out and then take a garden hose up there and water down the areas in question.
Check for a leak before proceeding from one area to the next so you'll know which area generates a leak.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

If it were mine, I'd first look at the chimney's flashing and top cap--that's where a majority of roof leaks occur. Either deteriorated condition, top cap cracked and leaking, or flashing lapped wrong, or sometimes flashing even completely missing. If tuck pointing is really needed (and causing the leaks), there should be areas where the mortar is almost non-existent.

Miriam is a beautiful name--it's Biblical, isn't it?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 511 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 150

If the roof was just replaced my first suspicion would be the flashing. Since it's been there since 09', I would look at the sides and look for areas where mortar or brick faces have become damaged. Also, what type of cap is on the chimney, metal or mortar?

As KOK stated, if you can't find visible evidence of problems with flashing or brick, then water test it. Start at the bottom and slowly work your way to the top of the chimney. Do one section at a time.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM  
joecaption

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Post a picture.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 PM  
brasilmom

Thank you for all the replies. Today I was out all day and did not get the chance to make a closer inspections and take pictures. Perhaps tomorrow I will do that. The chimney needs some tuckpoint, but I have doubts that this would have be the problem as there are no chunks of mortar or bricks missing. I will take pictures of the flashing and post here for you to review.

The top cap is mortar and the roof contractor did it as part of the job. It all seems to be in perfect condition, but again, I will take pictures and inspect it all.

The flashing appears to be all in place, but my knowledge is very limited to determine if this is the cause or not. The contractor was fast to say that the problem is the chimney itself, but I doubt to be honest.

BridgeMan, thank you for the compliment. Indeed my name is an Old Testament name. Miriam was Moses' sister.

Thanks again for the help and guidance. Be well

Miriam

Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 AM  
brasilmom

Good morning,

I took another look at it yesterday and also got some pictures. However, I am unable to upload the pictures. I tried first several pics together, it failed. Than I tried only two and also gave me an error message. I will try it a bit later as I need to get ready to school my child.
Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Did you try to upload pics from the Manage Attachment area on this site or use an outside pic hosting site?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM  
brasilmom

I tried from the Manage Attachments area. I was able to select the pictures, but it failed to load them up. What did I do wrong?
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Try again when you get a chance. InspectorD may have been sleeping at the Manage Attachment button.

Quick Reply