Transition Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstory

Reaction score
Hope everyone can understand this. Where the family room and kitchen meet is open. The problem is we have a kitchen floor cabinet on one wall where it meets the family room that is about 2 to 2 1/2 feet from the ceiling. The family room is a yellow and the kitchen is green and where they meet above the cabinet is just a meeting line of yellow and green. It looks out of place and I have not been able to figure out how to make the transition that looks appealing. Maybe it is me but it is like having one big wall and half is yellow and the other half is green. :eek:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

May sound tacky but have you considered an artificial plant in a pot? The leaves would soften the transition so you cannot see the paint line.

The other alternative is to re-paint! Are you forced to keep the kitchen color??

Good luck!

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Do you have any pictures?

Sorry for the delay but I have been away.
CallMe the line is above the pantry cabinet side. If you look at a pantry edge and follow it from the top to the ceiling that is where the paint line runs.
Ffisher I will try to post a pic tonight or tomorrow.

Hi gstory, its too long about your comment for posting pic. It would be better to suggest after looking the pic.

Sorry for the delay but I have been away.
CallMe the line is above the pantry cabinet side. If you look at a pantry edge and follow it from the top to the ceiling that is where the paint line runs.
Ffisher I will try to post a pic tonight or tomorrow.

I stand by my previous suggestion. Get an artificial plant that is tall and which spills over the pantry cabinet side. This will conceal and soften the transition. Cheaper and easier than repainting.

OR, you could "celebrate the transition" by applying a vertical piece of molding. My guess is it would be the color of the kitchen. Apply it to the edge directly above the pantry, running to the ceiling.

As before,pictures would help. :)

like callmeville stated molding could work wonders when working with a transition problem. It puts a break between two connected rooms and blends well so its not too disconnected. Its also cheap to come by it cost me roughly sixty dollars for two rooms a living room and hallway.

Last edited:
Hope everyone can understand this. Where the family room and kitchen meet is open. The problem is we have a kitchen floor cabinet on one wall where it meets the family room that is about 2 to 2 1/2 feet from the ceiling. The family room is a yellow and the kitchen is green and where they meet above the cabinet is just a meeting line of yellow and green. It looks out of place and I have not been able to figure out how to make the transition that looks appealing. Maybe it is me but it is like having one big wall and half is yellow and the other half is green. :eek:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

First off I would like to apologize to all who read this and tried to help. I understand it was hard to make suggestion without a picture and for taking so long to respond. Things happen and I was bombarded with other things making it next to impossible to get back online. Anywho I appreciate your patience and understanding.
Now if I can do this right I am attaching a picture of my problem.

Again Thanks a bunch.

Transition.jpg

I think it looks fine as is but I do understand.
You could put a gable on the end of the cupboard floor to ceiling.
You could have one more box built for a matching cupboard just where the basin is sitting.
You could build a wall to cover the end of the cupboards froor to ceiling 25" deep
You could just slap up a 2x4 above the cupboard and cover it with drywall like it was a post or something.

Nealtw,
Ah, Ha I like the first suggestion (it looks fine) leave it but the wife is the determining factor and she would like something! Maybe when she sees this I can leave it. That I like (no work). :D

Thanks

Latest posts

Back