DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > How do I replace a shower with a bigger better shower?

Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 PM  
deviddiya

Default How do I replace a shower with a bigger better shower?

At pesent I have a free-standing shower (touching only the back wall). I want to replace with a nicer shower(one that is not free-standing - touching 3 walls). I will not be able to find a shower that is exact size between the present side walls. I will need to extend the two side walls out about 3 to 4 inches to meet the shower walls. What is easiest type of wall to build? Do the shower walls have to be glued to drywall or will plywood work? I am limited on placement of shower due to the drain which is exatly 18 inched from the back wall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 PM  
AlwaysOneMoreProject

Likes Given: 1

Why couldn't you move the drain?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Couldn't you just demo the existing and tile-in a new shower? Make sure you DO NOT use drywall. You can use cement tile backer and/or waterproof membrane before tiling.

Good luck.

Quick Reply