DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Drainage hole in basement backs up (caused by pump filter?)

Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM  
zenox

Default Drainage hole in basement backs up (caused by pump filter?)

Hello,

I recently purchased a new home (its about 15 years old). The house is on its own septic and well (no city water). In the basement near the well pump there is also a large blue container that I've been assuming is some sort of filter. Additionally there is a hole in the floor that the filter has a nozzle going to. My assumption is that the filter rinses itself out every so often (seems to be every ~30 days or so).

Image here: http://imgur.com/nWC8G

The problem is, every once in awhile this seems to backup. Instead of the water leaving the house, it goes into the basement (not very much, but I would like to fix it).

So I guess my two questions would be:
1. Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this? From what I have read a sumppump may do the job (which I may do anyway), but I've heard that I should be able to clear this up other ways?
2. What is the large blue container? Is it a filter?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I believe the large blue tank is the water softener but, I don't see where the salt tank is.
I could be a "whole house" fitler that flushes itself automatically. The floor drain could be clogged or not sufficient to accept the volume of water being sent into it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply