DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Separation Between Carport & House Slab

Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 AM  
billhead1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Separation Between Carport & House Slab

My carport and house foundation consist of two separate concrete pours...one for the carport and the other for the house. Due to instability of the soil under the carport, this slab moved horizontally approximately 1 to 1.5 inches, creating an unsightly gap. To make matters worse, it tends to move about an inch horizontally between summer and winter due to temperature and possibly soil moisture. I have stabilized the horizontal movement of the carport foundation. Since the carport slab was designed to butt up to the foundation curb, vertical leveling will not be required.

I closed the crack with Great Stuff expansion foam but its appearance unsatisfactory. I'm looking for an expandable joint solution or a decent looking topcoat I can place over the foam after digging out enough foam to acomodate the topcoat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 921 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 1589

PL PL 10 fl. oz. Polyurethane Concrete Crack and Masonry Sealant Gray
This stuff dries flexable.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I had the same problem with my garage and driveway slabs. Over the course of 2 freeze/thaws, I would pour sandbox sand into the crack. Within a year, I was able to add 1 60lb. bag of sand to fill the void underneath. From there you can add brick paver sealer and it will set up as hard as a grouted joint.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 AM  
diypartner

To make matters worse, it tends to move about an inch horizontally between summer and winter due to temperature and possibly soil moisture. I have stabilized the horizontal movement of the carport foundation. Since the carport slab was designed to butt up to the foundation curb, vertical leveling will not be required.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply